Purina Start & Grow vs The Brown Bag Chick Starter

OvertheHenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego
I switched to Purina Start & Grow from the brown bag chick starter a couple of days ago (both medicated). The chicks (4-6 weeks old) were eating the other stuff fine, but they really seem to love the Purina - they empty the feeders morning and night, and this morning I noticed that they're noticeably bigger and their colors are deepening.
Not sure if it's a remarkable coincidence or the feed quality is that much better so had to ask: anyone else have this experience?

Check the Protein in both brands. Usually Purina will have a higher cost compared to mill brands, but they can have better nutrition content compared to them as well.

Nate

Thanks, Nate. Wish I could do a comparison but unfortunately, I tossed the brown bag before seeing the difference in my chicks so can't compare content / nutrition. I was reading elsewhere on BYC tonight about Purina's laying feed, that it was more expensive but that people were willing to pay more for it because they saw a difference in egg quality. I guess that holds true for chicks because I saw the result in my little flock today!
Thanks again -

I have fed Purina Start 'N Grow for a few years, but this year my feed store changed hands, and while they were closed for the changeover I bought Nutrena chick starter at another store, and for the brand new babies, Nutrina is WAY easier for them to eat, finer crumbs, more uniform and almost no powder.

Quote:
For chick starter, that is doubtful. Purina Start & Grow is 18% protein and most other starter feeds are at least 20%. Purina goes the cheapest way for most of their feed protein, percentage wise. Purina is never above any protein percentage at any level of feed around here, just the bare minimum. I prefer at least 20% for starting chicks, but the Purina does work.

Quote:
I have to disagree with the Nutrina, and maybe I just got a bad batch, but mine was over half a bag of powder and none of the chickens liked the food. I normally feed Dumore- the 24% grower, or Purina flock raiser, but I saw Nutrina on sale for almost $2.00 a bag cheeper, so like a dummy I bought 200# of both the chick grower and layer. The hens wouldn't hardly eat the layer, and the chick grower as I said was almost all powder, I ended up mixing it with some water and giving it to my 3 month od pullets as a mush mixed with some scratch. I was not happy, and will not buy it again I don't care how cheep it is.

I feed mine Dumore 24% chick starter until they are laying age. Then they get Purina layer or just my local farm layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom