Purity in Goldens

Royac

Chirping
Apr 15, 2018
Hola everyone! :D
I'm new in pheasants breeding. I bought a pair of goldens some months ago. Now they are almost a y old i guess. The guy who sold me them told me they were pure, at least at appareance, but i'm looking at something on my golden male's ear that i'm not sure if is normal or it can me a hybridization sample with LA.
Now the black part you see in the photo is like turning yellow in small parts, don't know if will turn completely in adult age and it can be normal during they juvenile stage.
Would love to hear your opinions!

PD: Whatever the result, will not love them less, they're my babies, just curiosity hehe.

This is Pepe

DSC03509.JPG
DSC03497.JPG

DSC03512.JPG

Detail of face:
DSC03502.JPG

And his beloved Lily haha
DSC03454.JPG

By the way, I present also Donald, my yellow golden :D
DSC03477.JPG

Can't tell for sure but it looks more like a Darkthroated Golden? Here's some pics from many, many years ago of a juvenile Pure Red Golden and a juvenile Yellow Golden x Amherst cross.
20200128_153046.jpg

Juvenile Red Golden and Yellow Golden X Amherst cross.
20200128_153032.jpg

Juvenile Yellow Golden X Amherst male cross.
20200128_152938.jpg

Juvenile Red Golden male

Back in the day, I was trying to develop a Yellow Amhesrt....didn't work out. The Amhesrt gene's are just too dominant.
Here's some pics of one of my Yellow Goldens.
100_4765-01.jpg

100_4629-01.jpg

100_4827.JPG

100_4832-01-a1.jpg

I saw that too, that usually indicates Amherst in the bloodline, at some point. It also has red saddle feathers, instead of all yellow.
It also, looks like the photos have been enhanced?
That's true, the camera have some effects. The black ears is the only thing that worries me. Some months ago, the ears and the black part were identical to the pure golden that you shared.
Not sure about the red point's in the Crest. I heard by a Spanish breeder is not necessary a mark of Amherst cross.
yellow is beautiful, as beautiful as red for me...)
Here I share some photos of the parents of the red goldens the guy sold me sent me when I bought them. Apparently they were close to molting...
IMG-20190721-WA0043.jpg

IMG-20190721-WA0048.jpg

Sorry, what you mean with this? I'm not english speaker so sometimes there are strange terms to me hahaha.
The feathers at the base of its rump! They should be yellow also, Amherst have a red band at the base of their rumps, separating the yellow feathers of the back. Red Goldens have solid yellow feathers the entire back.
79972753-the-lady-amherst-s-pheasants-in-nuptial-dance.jpg

golden-pheasant-greg-nyquist.jpg

The feathers at the base of its rump! They should be yellow also, Amherst have a red band at the base of their rumps, separating the yellow feathers of the back. Red Goldens have solid yellow feathers the entire back.
Oh, captcha! As he's still juvenile, he's growing the yellow feathers. you have to look well at his back. Now is a orange-red color, but he now has some yellow feathers coming out.

That's true, the camera have some effects. The black ears is the only thing that worries me. Some months ago, the ears and the black part were identical to the pure golden that you shared.
Not sure about the red point's in the Crest. I heard by a Spanish breeder is not necessary a mark of Amherst cross.
yellow is beautiful, as beautiful as red for me...)
Here I share some photos of the parents of the red goldens the guy sold me sent me when I bought them. Apparently they were close to molting...
View attachment 2013658
View attachment 2013657
It is difficult to tell by pictures, lighting, quality of the photo, etc.. all make for best guess but the hens in these pics "look" like they have grey or blueish legs....thus, they would be a cross, have Amherst blood in their past. At the same time they don't have the "rust" color feathers on their crest that a Amherst hen will have. Golden hens will have olive to yellowish legs. I believe your right, they look like they are starting to molt.
The pic of your hen looks good, she even has the "flakes" of gold feathers on her crest (top of the head).

Back
Top Bottom