Purple comb, no obvious signs of illness

wrenhen

Songster
May 14, 2021
Midwest
So my 1 year old leghorn hen Partridge has a purple comb that is cold to the touch at the tips. This is a sign of lack of circulation from what I understand but I can't figure out a reason why.

I have no idea how long this has been going on, I feel like I just noticed it today, but I don't closely look at her specifically everyday. She is eating normally, still active, her crop was full. She is my only white layer so its obvious to tell that she laid an egg everyday this week including today. I listened to her breathing from her nostrils and her chest and didnt hear any wheezing, or anything abnormal at all. Her heart was beating normal. Her feet were normal colored and warm. Inside of mouth was a cohesive light pink color. She seems absolutely fine other than her comb is cold and purple at the tips.
Anyone know what may be going on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 7.32.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 7.32.09 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Mine get that too! As long as they're eating and drinking I wouldn't worry. I read that it's hormone fluctuations:confused:

That's a relief! I was hunting more too and some say the flop of the bigger combs sometimes gets blood cut off? I'll just watch her for a bit and see if it just comes and goes. For now she just seems healthy and a little spazzy like always.

It can be common in large combed birds for the tips and the rear of the comb to become dusky at times. It seems that it can happen during times of excitement. I doubt that it means anything is wrong, as long as she is alert and acting normally.

That's a relief! I was hunting more too and some say the flop of the bigger combs sometimes gets blood cut off? I'll just watch her for a bit and see if it just comes and goes. For now she just seems healthy and a little spazzy like always.
Check her crop at night before bed, if it's nice and full, and her droppings look good the following day, plus she's still laying. They're all great signs!

My leghorns get this way too. I know when it’s cold it can signify frostbite. However, ours will do it in the extreme heat too. I worried briefly about heart issues but honestly I think it’s just a temp thing for mine. On super hot days I’ll notice it towards evening when it starts to cool. As others said it could also be hormones.

Back
Top Bottom