Purple comb - normal or concerning?

Chanchilla

Chirping
Sep 22, 2023
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this. I've read that purple comb could be a sign of poor circulation/heart condition, but a few others have said that it could also be hormones depending on how purple it is. So I wanted to double check with you more knowledgeable folk!
What do you think? Normal?

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_175725382.TS_exported_8202_1696701762070.jpg
    PXL_20231007_175725382.TS_exported_8202_1696701762070.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 41
How old is the bird? If he's under a year (therefore still a cockerel), I'd be more inclined to think hormones.

I'm assuming you aren't anywhere where it's cold enough that that could be frostbite, correct?

I had a rooster whose comb would occasionally get purple, and then later be fine. But he did die, and his comb was purpleish at the time, so I suspected a circulation issue.

How old is the bird? If he's under a year (therefore still a cockerel), I'd be more inclined to think hormones.

I'm assuming you aren't anywhere where it's cold enough that that could be frostbite, correct?

I had a rooster whose comb would occasionally get purple, and then later be fine. But he did die, and his comb was purpleish at the time, so I suspected a circulation issue.
Yes, he's 6 months old! It's been like this for a few days, hopefully it's just the hormones and nothing more serious. Thanks for your answer

Comb colour can fluctuate due to various factors. If he is otherwise well, I wouldn’t stress too much. Signs to watch out for would be laboured breathing, dirty vent feathers and swelling in the abdomen.

Watch closely to make sure she’s drinking plenty of water. Dehydration is a problem here in the Deep South and that’s one thing I’ve learned to watch (purple comb) for because it’s a clear sign they aren’t (or haven’t been) drinking enough. If that’s the problem and it’s corrected, it will take some time to get back to red.

Watch closely to make sure she’s drinking plenty of water. Dehydration is a problem here in the Deep South and that’s one thing I’ve learned to watch (purple comb) for because it’s a clear sign they aren’t (or haven’t been) drinking enough. If that’s the problem and it’s corrected, it will take some time to get back to red.

This is a good point. I have a hen who has been unwell and food and fluid intake reduced. She’s developed a darker patch on the end of her comb. I always fear the worst but dehydration would make sense seeing how she’s been drinking less.

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this. I've read that purple comb could be a sign of poor circulation/heart condition, but a few others have said that it could also be hormones depending on how purple it is. So I wanted to double check with you more knowledgeable folk!
What do you think? Normal?
What do you feed him?

Back
Top Bottom