Purple comb :(

rihanna12

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
Hi everyone,
I live in Florida and my chickens usually pant. I have had one in October breathe heavily and sneeze and in a week she died sadly. I know this is some sort of respiratory illness but I’m having trouble on treating it. I have given Doxy-Tyl and Baytril on separate occasions but I still haven’t been able to beat this. Now one of my australorps have a blue comb. She is kinda heavy, I used to give lettuce and watermelon everyday and now I stopped but that could be why. I doubt it though, they had breathing trouble before I started with treats. She has a big comb and half of it is purple now. They rarely sneeze mucus out but sometimes they do and some sneeze.
what else can I try to treat it?
Also just a question but I get the Doxy-Tyl from pigeonsupplyplus and I have used it before but this time after a day it turns reddish orange when it is suppose to be yellow, any experience with this?
But the main question is how I can stop this

You should call that 800 number on the product and ask what it means to see it change color as you have. It may be a sign the med is defective and you would be due a replacement.

That med is one of the best combos for treating respiratory illness.There is a chance there are other underlying conditions preventing these chickens from recovering. Much that triggers respiratory illness is stress related, and it can set up a vicious cycle when the stress isn't mitigated. Malnutrition is as much of a stressor as predator attacks.

You might want to eliminate the feeding of scratch and concentrate on a well balanced commercial feed to build up the immune systems of your chickens. Cut down on treats, as well. Any fruit or vegetable consumed will be that much less nutritional feed they consume.

You should call that 800 number on the product and ask what it means to see it change color as you have. It may be a sign the med is defective and you would be due a replacement.
Yes I did email but all they said was it could possibly be the hardness of the water. I dont have a water softener for their water but I have never had that problem before so i dont know what to do now.

That med is one of the best combos for treating respiratory illness.There is a chance there are other underlying conditions preventing these chickens from recovering. Much that triggers respiratory illness is stress related, and it can set up a vicious cycle when the stress isn't mitigated. Malnutrition is as much of a stressor as predator attacks.
You might want to eliminate the feeding of scratch and concentrate on a well balanced commercial feed to build up the immune systems of your chickens. Cut down on treats, as well. Any fruit or vegetable consumed will be that much less nutritional feed they consume.
Yes i have switched from the scratch to a balanced feed. I switch between two every other day and i know one brand is from H and H feed and i cant remember the other one.
I have stopped giving them watermelon and lettuce but can lettuce be harmful if they have it every other day?
i also give b12 and the poultry cell from rooster booster every three days.

would a scrambled egg be harmful to them as well? I usually give either mealworms or an egg every other day.
could sleep be a stressor, i mean obviously it could be, but if there is a predator that bothers them for an hour a night would that drastically effect them?
we do have raccoons, coyotes, and things like that and it could be why?

it is very hot in Florida for the chickens I believe because at night when they are roosting it is very humid which is where they pant a lot. the panting may be partially caused by the heat but i also think that the sleep stress may be a part of it.

I am not sure about the predator theory but i have seen some animals creeping around at night.

Also I know chickens sleep form sunset to sun rise basically but do they sleep that whole time?

Back
Top Bottom