Purple comb!

Hotwings21

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
My Americana has had a purple comb I assume for a while. It's not all purple, just the upper part. I noticed it when comparing to my other Americana and there is a big difference. He comb is also slightly smaller. I don't know if this is due to lack of blood and oxygen. Is there anything that can fix this? It is not cold where I am. Help please.

Quote:
I think you're on the right track due to the possible lack of oxygen being carried by the blood to the extremities. Pick him up and put your ear to his chest or sides. If you here a "clicking" noise, it's a heart valve problem. Otherwise, it could be his heart. Some other symptoms, if it is indeed a heart failure or a heart valve; there would be gasping for air/heavy breathing, mouth open most of the time, unsteadiness on his feet, possibly falling over. If you dont hear any 'clicking,' nor any of the other symptoms...I doubt it's a heart problem but something else, not sure what though. In which case I would recommend that you just monitor his condition closely and observe anything out of the ordinary. Good luck.

Check out its crop and abdomen for fullness. Also, check for mites. Does it act normally, otherwise? (eating, pooping, activity, etc.)

Your chicken is a hen?
If the chicken continues to act normally, doesn't have mites, has normal breathing, a soft unswollen abdomen, a normal crop, no bumblefoot, eating nutritious food, etc., etc.,.....then I would wonder if its an isolated problem with the comb. Then again......it may signal some slow-growing problem internally.
In my experience.....when their combs are smaller or different in some way, it usually means they aren't functioning internally as healthily as they should be.
Just keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom