Weston393

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2023
My black copper maran rooster used to have a beautiful comb. However, lately, I've noticed that his comb has turned purple. He is around 8 months old and enjoys a good comb massage. IT FELT COLD when I touched the purple area while the rest of the comb felt hot. I'm concerned and I'm not sure what's causing this.
20230912_072305.jpg

Purpling of the comb can be a sign your bird is excited.

Other reasons for purpling of the comb is: Their comb is oversized.

Or, your bird is have a circulation problem. This can be either blood, or respiratory.
The photo really doesn't do it justice, it is a lot darker purple in person. How do I fix a blood circulation problem?
For people I would use cayenne pepper to help restore blood flow, Do you think I can use that on chickens too?

It's fairly common that it happens in birds that are excited or stressed by something, particularly hormonal cockerels. It may be completely normal and nothing to worry about. I would do some observing, see if it comes and goes, watch his behavior closely, see if anything else seems off or amiss, make sure droppings look normal. IF it is a health problem, it could be heart, liver or respiratory. It's not really likely that cayenne would be helpful. If it's heart or liver, there really isn't much you could do. But, this could be nothing and he's fine.

Back
Top Bottom