Magpie2

Songster
Dec 7, 2021
A chicken friend of mine has a young house rooster who suddenly became lethargic and his comb turned black at the ends. She’s isolated him for now and he’s had some very wet, green poops. Any idea what could be wrong with him?
IMG_4346.jpeg
The comb is shiny because it has Vaseline on it. No sign of injury. He is low ranking in his pecking order so he does get picked on a little.
IMG_4343.jpeg

Two poops like this so far. He hasn’t been eating any greens lately.
1697164175722.png

He’s lethargic but he’s still moving normally, still drinking (she gave him electrolytes), he was eating earlier before symptoms started but not now although it’s late and he could just be tired.

Our main concerns are that it could be Marek’s, Newcastle disease, or avian influenza so he’s been quarantined to another room in the house and she’s washing and changing between seeing him and the other birds.

Attachments

• IMG_4345.jpeg
    IMG_4345.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 3
Crop feels empty despite eating lots earlier. Age is 5 months. Diet is something called “henhouse reserve”
Is it a layer feed? What's the protein level? It work on getting some vitamins and electrolytes into him. Best case is dehydration and vitamins deficiency, worst case is organ failure.

Is it a layer feed? What's the protein level? It work on getting some vitamins and electrolytes into him. Best case is dehydration and vitamins deficiency, worst case is organ failure.
She may have gone to bed so I can’t get the food details from her but I know she has other birds including another rooster that are doing fine so I think she’s feeding him the right stuff. He’s got electrolytes already and he’s been drinking it no problem but I don’t know what she has on hand for vitamins. I suggested nutridrench and if she doesn’t have anything like it, eggs.

Small update, he was arguing with his reflection and had the energy to fly up to try and roost on the tv, so he still has a decent amount of energy.

What’s your reasoning for thinking dehydration/vitamin deficiency or organ failure? I’m still worried about a potential risk to the other birds if he has something contagious. I wasn’t as worried until I saw the green poop and heard he hasn’t eaten anything green.

It’s a layer feed 17.00% protein

She may have gone to bed so I can’t get the food details from her but I know she has other birds including another rooster that are doing fine so I think she’s feeding him the right stuff. He’s got electrolytes already and he’s been drinking it no problem but I don’t know what she has on hand for vitamins. I suggested nutridrench and if she doesn’t have anything like it, eggs.

Small update, he was arguing with his reflection and had the energy to fly up to try and roost on the tv, so he still has a decent amount of energy.

What’s your reasoning for thinking dehydration/vitamin deficiency or organ failure? I’m still worried about a potential risk to the other birds if he has something contagious. I wasn’t as worried until I saw the green poop and heard he hasn’t eaten anything green.
Green poop is often a sign of not eating/not getting enough or infection.
Is he chased away from the feeders by other birds? Organ failure is the worst case scenario, it's likely just dehydration

Is he chased away from the feeders by other birds? Organ failure is the worst case scenario, it's likely just dehydration
Hi!! I'm S'mores owner. He isn't allowed near the food bowls cus my other chickens are jerks. So he has his own put up to where only he can reach, plus water. He knows where it is and flys up to it whenever he's hungry or thirsty. My others are silkies (and my leghorn who's a fattie) so they can't reach his food ledge.

Any thoughts on the comb turning dark? Evesy had mentioned that it was more floppy lately. Hopefully everything is as you said and he just needs a little TLC and water

Any thoughts on the comb turning dark? Evesy had mentioned that it was more floppy lately. Hopefully everything is as you said and he just needs a little TLC and water

Floppy and darkened comb can indicate dehydration among other things. It can also indicate poor circulation. The colour can fluctuate throughout the day and in response to hormones.

Back
Top Bottom