Purple comb

wendigo

Chirping
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I have this little rooster, 4 months old, happy and energic. He has grown quite the comb, so big actually that it dropped on one side. The problem is that today I noticed that it turned a bit purple, getting darker towards the "spikes". Also, his poop started to get really watery since about yesterday, sometimes being only liquid. Is this something to be worried about? What should I do?

Last edited:
Is it possible he is too hot? Does he pant with his mouth open and hold his wings a little away from his body? If they are suffering with the heat, they will often have watery poop just from drinking so much water to try to keep cool. A purple comb is an indication that the comb isn't getting enough blood. It's possible that it's a heart problem. Nothing you can do about that if that's what it is, but if he[s hot, you can cool him off, be sure he has breeze and shade, maybe wet him down or have a mister, cool the soil with water if needed, and don't lock him in a small coop where his body heat will make it even hotter for him.

Back
Top Bottom