Purple eggs??

I've seen eggs with an excess calcium layer making them purple before but I don't think you could breed for it. I doubt it's entirely genetic but more of environmental plus chance. The color also goes away if you get those eggs wet so the layer underneath shows through.

Pink eggs are just oddly tinted brown eggs. You get green eggs if you mix brown and blue layers. The pink eggs with blue just result in a different shade of green than if you mixed darker brown eggs.

any update?

A neighbor told me he is ordering some breed that lays a purpish/pink egg, and I'm dying to know what breed that would be! Never heard of such so did a search on here, and this thread showed up.

Any ideas?

I'd like to know too. We have pink, green, blue and brown layers. From time to time, one looks a little purple but never thought anything of it. Now I'm wondering ...

Anyone have a follow-up?

To me, a true purple egg is simply a dark egg (Marans, Penedesenca, Welsummer) coated with extra white "bloom." Like pink eggs are the brown version of such. This trait can be found in a decent, random number of dark laying hens, some of mine included, but is hard to breed for or even keep in a consistent state. There have been many threads discussing this, too.

Me, my purple eggs usually look like this -

5385315148_6619b4b29d.jpg

Now the thing is, I've got both Black Copper and Wheaten Marans who lay eggs like this, but I know for a fact that I won't get some every day, nor can I breed for it successively, however, I have a feeling I can crossbreed for it successively.

I'm breeding for the trait of purple eggs via using Araucanas with a consistent, thick white bloom on their eggs, crossing them with Marans who carry the random trait, and looking for the small number of single combed "flukes" from that breeding. These birds should have a great chance of laying purple eggs, thanks to the completely consistent bloom from the Araucanas and the nice dark egg from the Marans.

It might take 2 generations, we'll see. . .

i think it would depend on the shade you were after too. I did a fair bit of mutt breeding when i was younger, and there were EE in the mix with various shades of brown layers, so i ended up with yellow, pink, purple and blue and green of course. as to what to cross to get it, not 100% sure, but they were consistent. i think the yellow was from a light tan or white layer crossed with green, but thats the only one i had half figured.
Sib

Back
Top Bottom