Purple spray/blue spray

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
After an incident with a wounded hen, I read about Blue Kote online which helps prevent further pecking. However I am in Norway and this isn't available here. What I found as alternatives was Barrier purple spray and VetSet blue spray (VetSet also has other wound products but not with the name purple or blue in them). The shop doesn't know if these actually will give off a blue/purple color, which I understand to be half the point, and I find little information online. I assume it does since it is called that, but with the shipping cost I'd like to not end up with the wrong product. Do any of you have any experience with either of these two products or know if they'll do the trick? Both help with wound healing.

BluKote is actually pretty controversial here (US). I haven’t had to do it, but I’ve heard that others will use whatever would application they want and add blue food coloring to it.
Maybe that would work?

BluKote is actually pretty controversial here (US). I haven’t had to do it, but I’ve heard that others will use whatever would application they want and add blue food coloring to it.
Maybe that would work?
Ah, that's a good idea, I could try that! Why is BluKote controversial? I had no idea!

Just a quick glance at those 2 products looks like they would be fine to use on mild wounds.
Ime, bluing doesn't necessarily prevent or deter picking. Some have a bit better results.

BluKote controversial? Eh...maybe. I use it and will use it. It's good stuff, the only issue I have with it is coloring of a wound makes it harder to monitor/see the healing process. For deep or large wounds, using an ointment would be better.

Just a quick glance at those 2 products looks like they would be fine to use on mild wounds.
Ime, bluing doesn't necessarily prevent or deter picking. Some have a bit better results.

BluKote controversial? Eh...maybe. I use it and will use it. It's good stuff, the only issue I have with it is coloring of a wound makes it harder to monitor/see the healing process. For deep or large wounds, using an ointment would be better.
Thanks so much for the information! That's a shame that it might not prevent pecking, but could be good to have on hand anyway I suppose.

The controversy stems from its lifetime egg withdrawal and ingredients.
Some people will always use it and don’t mind the warnings. Others refuse to use it and don’t like hearing it recommended.
For myself, I tried it on myself, and Lord have mercy, I will not use it on my birds. Stings like the dickens.
But it does prevent a good look at the healing process. By covering the wound, it can be hard to determine redness and infection level.
Although in theory, it’s preventing infection by its very use.

The controversy stems from its lifetime egg withdrawal and ingredients.
Some people will always use it and don’t mind the warnings. Others refuse to use it and don’t like hearing it recommended.
For myself, I tried it on myself, and Lord have mercy, I will not use it on my birds. Stings like the dickens.
But it does prevent a good look at the healing process. By covering the wound, it can be hard to determine redness and infection level.
Although in theory, it’s preventing infection by its very use.
Interesting.
There's many things that folks decide to use for treating their flocks that may not be approved or labeled for use in poultry or have egg withdrawal periods.
It's something that each person should investigate and determine if it's right for them. Just like using dewormers like Ivermectin or Valbazen.

Yes, it burns, but that's temporary.

Back
Top Bottom