Pustules on Hens wattles.

This is a typical case:
1668362271545.jpeg

Dry pox. Wet pox is only inside the beak, throat, or airways, and causes yellow plaques. It is more rare, but a chicken can have both types. It is a short lived virus, and no treatment is required, and antibiotics have no effect. It will run it’s course over about a month.

Thank you very much for your help. As a last confirmation, because I am paranoid, she isn't going to die is she? And is there anything at all I can or should do? Thank you again for your swift responses.

She should be fine. Since she has pox, don’t be surprised if you see others that get it. It can be spread by others pecking her scabs, and when scabs dry up and fall off they can become powdery and spread the pox. Fortunately, once they have it, they should not get it anymore later. There is a vaccine available when it is bad, and for chickens who have not been affected, but that doesn‘t look very serious. Here is another good link to read:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

Here are some photos of Percy taken today. I think it is getting better, but I would like to ask what you think? There is some blood on one of the pustules; I think that is from one of the other hens pecking it.

And, how can I prevent my hens from getting fowl pox again in the future?

20221122_132145.jpg
20221122_132127.jpg 20221122_131927.jpg

Back
Top Bottom