"Put your wing on my shoulder..." Staying warm on the roost

deacons

Songster
Oct 8, 2013
New Hampshire
Saw the cutest thing last night when shutting up the coop- my "boss hen" had her wing outstretched over her #2 in command, snuggled up together on the roost. It was our first really cold NH afternoon/evening, and I just wish I had my camera to capture it. They looked nice and cozy, though of course I fretted about them being too cold all night long (and in the middle of the night when coyotes howling out in the woods woke me up...)

Question- I have two "groups" in my flock. The two hens I just described are the ones I have left from my original flock of 4. I added 6 pullets this spring. Everyone does get along just fine, though they sometimes have a tendency to go two separate ways during the day when free ranging- not always, but sometimes. However, they occupy different ends of the roost (with one pullet who seems allowed to join either group she wants depending on the night). As it gets colder, I figured everyone would huddle up together, but I'm still seeing the two separate groups at night. Do you think they'll eventually cozy up? I just feel bad that I essentially have 4 chickens that have to have an "end spot" on the roost since the two groups are separate.

My chickens often do the same thing! Its very cute behavior. They will probably all snuggle together eventually, but I have noticed that chickens raised together often stay together, and sometimes ignore other birds. Even if they don't, they should be fine-- chickens are very hardy.

Back
Top Bottom