putting 6 weekers together with 2 weekers

4H...im in a similar predicament. I have 2 week olds in the brooder ( 14 of them) and 7 x 6week olds including 1 rooster in the coop/run now. The current setup is a 6x8coop and a 10x10run for the 7birds. I have just purchased (picking up this weekend) an additional 10x6 coop and 40x25 x 6.5foot high run. I am guessing it will take me all of next weekend to set up the run and to clean the coop out with lysol or someother sterilant.
I will also have to figure out some sort of bird netting for the top of the run as it is not covered and of course I will need to secure all around the bottom of the run with chicken wire and rocks buried.

SOOOOOOOOOOO i guess it will be about 2 weeks before the girls and boys get to mix. The will have then approx 950sq feet total run area ( albeit that 100feet will be in a separate run attached to the main run) and about 120sq feet of coop for the 21 birds. But it will mean that the age difference will be 4 weekers and 8 weekers. Do you think I should put the lil guys in the old coop/run and let them talk with the big guys through the fence for a while?

WHOA!
big_smile.png
Your birds will be living in luxury!
D.gif
What a nice set up you are putting together for them. I'm not 4h mom, but I know it's good to introduce them via wire seperation for a while. I can take pics of our seperation and the hole I made for them to venture out. I can't gauruntee it works yet. I just made the hole yesterday, and my little ones are still, well... too chicken to come out!
lau.gif
Later this afternoon im going to scoot them all out! Then let them run back if they need to. :-D

I've got 6 6-week old chicks in the same brooder with 2 3-week olds and 4 2-week olds. Inspired by 4-h mom's advice, I took out the wire wall that had been separating them, and put in a crate that the big girls can't get in to.

Last night (their first night after I "tore down this wall", after much pecking and chasing, the girls all settled in one big heap on the shavings next to the crate and slept. The little ones had started out hiding in the crate, but eventually ventured out and braved the beak gauntlet.

Tonight, after milling about, and yes, pecking, tho it did seem to be less pecking than last night, the big girls are "roosting" up on top of the crate (I put a few small logs on there). And the little girls are snuggled together next to the crate again.

They've been free ranging the past few days, so the little ones have plenty of space to get away during the day, but tomorrow I have to go out and they'll be stuck together in the brooder, which is really too small for them at this point. Gotta get on that coop/tractor building plan I have...

Just wanted to report that I too am mixing ages, and so far so good!

Last night the babies (3 weeks) were in the coop/box part without their saftey box - with the big girls (6 weeks) . I have been moving the box from the bottom part of the run to the top each night and am. They all did fine!!!

Hooray!!! We made it!!!!

The only thing is the little ones don't know how to come down the chicken ladder yet so we have to carry them down in the morning.
big_smile.png

4H kids and mom - Thanks!!!!!
I am so glad that we did this earlier that I thought I should - now I can leave on my vacation with peace of mind!!!!!
lol.png

ncf, if your chicken ladder is a solid board type, a little bit of treats scattered down it will have the little ones going on their own after just a time or two. That's how I got mine to use theirs.

:eek: <---- Me!

It's been two days. No socialization whatsoever. Little kids come out, big kids chase them back into hiding. Today. I went out and stood where the little kids could hide and pushed them back out, big kid come running chasing them back into their space. What am I doing wrong?!

barnie.gif

jamie....some breeds take a little longer. Just keep at it. They'll get it soon. Right now your big ones are seeing the little ones as fuzzy invaders that you (more than likely) dote lovies on, and this upsets them (the big ones). As hard as it is, try not to comfort the little ones for a day or so. Avoid picking them up and snuggling them when the bigger chicks can see it. They are basically playing the sibling game "So Mom likes you better then me? Well, then take THIS!" It is quite normal, and its the way they will work their 'stuff' out. They were the "only children" and now they've got to share and they dont like it. And your little ones, see the big ones as giant meanies right now. In another few days or a week they will stand their own ground, and when things dont run, its no fun to chase, in a chickens mind. Just stick it out, you're half way there!
wink.png

NCF...I am so proud of you! Now isnt this great? You can go on your vacation without worrying about brooders and your 'chicken sitter' will have a MUCH easier time of things! Plus, YOU too will get compliments on how well you have mingled your chickies! That is the best reward yet! Now just wait until you have goats, ducks, geese, guineas.....all running around the yard! Then you get people that stop and stare! lol
tongue.png
Give yourself a big pat on the back, and I know you are just smiling ear to ear right now! Good job!
big_smile.png

How did you know?
True I was... And it felt GOOD!!

jamiebartlett -
My older girls and the younger ones DO NOT socialize. I just want them not to kill each other. The older girls sleep at one end of the box and the little ones at the other end! The little silkie sleeps under the leghorn (sure hope she is a she!!).
I think the only time the little ones are comfortable is when the older girls are out roaming the yard.....

My next concern is what if the leghorn is a cockrell and we need to get rid of him? Then what will Gloria (silkie) do?
Maybe get another Silkie?...?.....

At first they wont really socialize, they will more just "tolerate" each other without chasing, pecking, and trying to eat one another.
tongue.png
After a couple weeks of this (and well after you've removed the little ones safety zone) they will begin to mingle more and more. Its been a whole 3 weeks since mine have begun to share the coop, and just tonight I noticed 2 little ones nestled between 2 older ones on the roosts tonight, and that made my heart smile!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom