Putting chicken to sleep

jools2014

Songster
7 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Hi all,

I don't keep chickens atm but I used to in the past. I got sick of taking them to the vet all the time (I only had a few in the first place but they were hybrids and would get ill after a few years which all happened around the same time).

My new idea is to take in lots of battery hens if I can-but I think they have a high likelihood of getting ill and there will be a lot of them. I never learnt how to cull them so it seems like a big problem. But I would dearly love to help out some little chucks who have had a bad start to life.

When I used to take them to the vet to be PTS the vet didn't used to do it in front of me so I never saw what he used-does anyone know? Not that I'd be able to get whatever vets use, but I was just wondering.

I really can't spend all my money and time at the vets again it's totally not feasible but I don't know what to do when one gets sick? What is the easiest and most humane way to put a chicken to sleep? Should I just give up on this idea because I'm too much of a wuss to cull them?

If hands on euthanasia of your birds is too much for you, consider investing in a long gun. That's how my birds are euthanized.
I have yet to do it but I think that I could if I had to. Once a bird gets to the point she needs to be euthanized they're usually pretty lethargic. If you do it at night wearing a headlamp and just put the gun directly to the back of her head, turn your head and pull the trigger, that's all it's going to take.

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm from the UK so I doubt I can get any sort of gun without a lot of hassle...sadly not feasible either I don't think.

The method I used when I had to put one of my hens down, was the broomstick method; which if done correctly is about as quick as it can be.
Also its not messy, and is fairly hands off.
However, I did have the opportunity to practise on some cockerels that I needed to cull for meat, which definitely made it easier, than if I had to do it for the first time with one of my hens.

@Sussex19 thanks that's a good idea, I just don't know if I can go through with actually doing it. Then if you don't fully commit out of fear you might make them suffer whilst doing it? I hate this aspect of chicken keeping! I never knew what to do before and it's the only thing that stopped me keeping them again after I lost my last ones...I wish I could marry a vet lol.

@Sussex19 thanks that's a good idea, I just don't know if I can go through with actually doing it. Then if you don't fully commit out of fear you might make them suffer whilst doing it? I hate this aspect of chicken keeping! I never knew what to do before and it's the only thing that stopped me keeping them again after I lost my last ones...I wish I could marry a vet lol.
I certainly don't like doing it, and did struggle with worrying that I might not commit but found that with this method there was less of that.
A few ideas; you could buy a stuffed toy in roughly the shape of a chicken to practise on, though I don't if this would help.
Particular to start with, I was inclined to ask myself, can I do it,(out loud) and then answer it, yes you can.
This might sound a bit odd, but it really helped me to just do it.
My new idea is to take in lots of battery hens if I can
This sounds like such a good idea, so if you can do it, I'd say go for it, and learn new skills along the way.
Wishing you the best!

Hi all,

I don't keep chickens atm but I used to in the past. I got sick of taking them to the vet all the time (I only had a few in the first place but they were hybrids and would get ill after a few years which all happened around the same time).

My new idea is to take in lots of battery hens if I can-but I think they have a high likelihood of getting ill and there will be a lot of them. I never learnt how to cull them so it seems like a big problem. But I would dearly love to help out some little chucks who have had a bad start to life.

When I used to take them to the vet to be PTS the vet didn't used to do it in front of me so I never saw what he used-does anyone know? Not that I'd be able to get whatever vets use, but I was just wondering.

I really can't spend all my money and time at the vets again it's totally not feasible but I don't know what to do when one gets sick? What is the easiest and most humane way to put a chicken to sleep? Should I just give up on this idea because I'm too much of a wuss to cull them?
I think you should steer away from battery hens. They are bred to live short, disposable lives & by the time they become rescues they are @ the end of their alloted time & prone to reproductive issues, & things like cancers & tumors. You would probably have to cull most within a very short period of time ~ or spend ages @ the Vet. If I were you I would rethink my chicken keeping options & go for something more likely to be hardy & long lived. IME a lot of bantams fall into this category as they aren't usually high production breeds.

If both euthanazia and vets visits are not right for you, then maybe chickens are not right for you either.

Can you find another chicken keeper in your area that can help out with culling in exchange for the meat?

Back
Top Bottom