Putting chicks under a broody (need advice)

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I've read tons of threads on this, but am still hoping for some reinforcement, lol. So I have a broody due to hatch Thursday, but she left the nest and the eggs got lukewarm to cold on three occasions in the first six days of sitting. I checked two of the five eggs on Saturday, and there was definitely something in both of them. Anyways, sadly I lost three of my precious chickens, including a sweet and curious Easter Egger to a bear attack over the weekend, and my only other EE has a broken wing. I'm not sure if she will make it or not, but as of today she is alert and seems to be doing quite well.

Anyways, I miss my blue eggs, so I wanted to add two Rural King EEs under my broody. I was thinking babies probably wouldn't arrive until Friday night or Saturday morning given that they were left to cool down a few times. How and when should I slip babies under mama? Should I slip them in from behind her at night? or early in the morning? I couldn't monitor her or them once I put them under her in the evening, and I still have to go to work Saturday morning. I am a little nervous; I just don't want the babies to be hurt.

I should also note, this hen successfully hatched and reared two babies earlier this spring. She sat on the nest for three days after they hatched until I removed three eggs that never developed.

I personally wouldn’t isolate them. Momma will take care of business.
I have two 15 week roosters. One rooster is afraid of me, but a horndog for sure. He never leaves the poor hens alone. The other rooster is on the bottom of the totem pole and always tries to show me his fancy feet, presumably to attempt to dominate me. I'm just concerned hormones would make them go after the babies. Ironically, the broody mama raised one of those roosters! I caught him this morning trying to peck at her eggs, but I think it was out of curiosity.

It would really just be so much easier to leave her in the nest box where she is. First time she was broody, the other hens broke a bunch of her eggs, but this time she's been good about staying in the correct box, and keeping other hens out, so there have been no mishaps aside from the few times she got on the wrong nest in the early days of her broodiness.

I really want this to work, because her babies belong to one of the hens that the bear killed, and it would mean a lot to have her offspring. A small consolation.

I'd be cautious of giving any birds chicks. We had one broody eat 2/3 babies but only because we saved the final baby just in time.

The chicken may lay waste to your best laid plans.

You could try to time it so they appear and hatch within a small window. Say getting new chicks and placing under her on Thursday afternoon/evening and hoping her setting will be enough to hatch her own eggs before moving off.

I'd be cautious of giving any birds chicks. We had one broody eat 2/3 babies but only because we saved the final baby just in time.
This hen has proven to be a good mom, so at least for her own chicks I wasn't worried. I do have a brand new rooster though so I'm a bit concerned about him with her chicks. Last time she just raised the babies with the rest of the flock and my rooster at the time (killed by the bear) actually would stand guard over the babies. He was an amazing rooster.

Not letting her see you put them under her is a common theme in placing chicks. So distract her and place under from behind.

The chicken may lay waste to your best laid plans.

You could try to time it so they appear and hatch within a small window. Say getting new chicks and placing under her on Thursday afternoon/evening and hoping her setting will be enough to hatch her own eggs before moving off.
So you think putting babies under her a little before hers hatch is a better idea? Definitely if they were externally pipping by Thursday night I was going to run and get babies then, but I didn't think they would by then. I assumed they could be delayed by 12-24 hours.

If you have the option of having chicks within a few hours, keep an eye on her and introduce anytime after first chick unzips.

Back
Top Bottom