Putting Cord Into Coop

Take another small piece of plywood. Put a slot in it that the cord will barely fit in, maybe an inch or so deep. Slide the cord into the slot and position the plywood so the cord is against the side of the hole you drilled. Screw it into place, maybe positioning your hole through the plywood so you can screw this other piece of wood into a stud or something solid. If you ever need to remove the cord, use reverse on your screwdriver.

Quote:
That sound like a very good idea! Thanks!

Yeah, great idea. Unless you can keep them away from it, the chickens will eat most of the other choices--they love great stuff and pull out caulking.

Quote:
Really- it's too embarrassing.

D.gif

Oh come on. We all could use a good laugh! (not at you, but with you). lol
caf.gif

You've gotten lots of good answers, but I can't resist chiming in.

Please forgive my mention of something obvious, but I want to confirm that you are not planning to drill a hole large enough to fit the plug of the cord through. You'll keep the hole tiny, just barely large enough to force zip cord or regulation wire through, and then mount an outlet box inside, right? That's what I did. An outlet box secured to a stud is a lot better than a dangling cord.

Also, someone recommended expanding foam. I avoid that stuff, because after a year or two it will dry out, crumble, and eventually turn to dust.

Another consideration is friction wear. Will your wire blow in the wind or be rubbed by chickens? If it rubs back and forth against a sharp bit of wood in the hole, the insulation may wear away and eventually cause a short that may set your coop on fire. I recommend that you staple the wire down, inside and out, to prevent all movement.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Quote:
So are you saying 'cut' the end of the extension cord and wire it to an outlet rather than just using the extension cord...?

I definitely wouldn't use a zip cord you need something heavier than that--#12 wire or regular #10 electrical cable. Won't help your chickens any if you burn them out. Besides once you have electricity in there you're going to want to add a water heater, lights and, probably, a timer--that'll be too much for a light extension cord.

Back
Top Bottom