Putting fat chickens on a diet

Pics
Cornish Cross are not known for living even close to 2 years.
Although what you say here is probably closer to the norm. I hand pick all the broilers I intend to keep out of groups of 15 to 20, selecting the ones that have a most natural conformation.
I just wanted to point out that it is possible to grow them out to that age.

DE will mess you up.
I don't know what to believe about DE anymore. I've read so much online and opinions are all over the spectrum. Some say don't use it. Some say use "food grade." Some say use a respirator and goggles when using it. Others say they just sprinkle it on the dirt. Some say sprinkle it on their food. Others say don't let them eat it at all.... Everything about it is anecdotal. It's really quite frustrating, and being a brand new chicken owner with no previous experience, I don't know who to believe.

I don't know what to believe about DE anymore. I've read so much online and opinions are all over the spectrum. Some say don't use it. Some say use "food grade." Some say use a respirator and goggles when using it. Others say they just sprinkle it on the dirt. Some say sprinkle it on their food. Others say don't let them eat it at all.... Everything about it is anecdotal. It's really quite frustrating, and being a brand new chicken owner with no previous experience, I don't know who to believe.
I didn’t use PPE when I put it all over the garden and coop. I was wheezing and had flu like symptoms from inhaling too much. Apparently it’s like a detox when ingested by humans. I went in to see what was going on and I tested negative to pretty much everything. Was ask if I had recently changed something in my day to day and I mentioned DE. And I had all the adverse reactions to inhaling that crap. It does however keep bugs away. Makes my chickens really sneezy. I stopped using it for them and only for the garden. Also, I spread it when wearing a mask now because inhaling it had me out for a week. Doesn’t help that I have asthma. 🤦‍♀️ Id just be cautious if you use it.

Back
Top Bottom