Putting just a small bit of weight on her (Dog)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Hazel Grace normally weighs between 45-50lbs but I noticed a few days ago that she seemed off so I weighed her and saw it was 34lbs. I'm thinking it's because of her recently being in heat. She just finished her heat a few days ago. All 3 dogs eat dry food and we're currently trying to figure out the best dry food to switch to so I can't give a brand right now until my parents figure out what they want to keep them on (since my parents won't switch them to raw). They also get a raw scraps a few times a week and chicken eggs mixed in their food daily.
My parents are currently staying at my grandmother's house so feeding the pets falls on me.
A bit more info on Hazel Grace: Born May 26th 2019, intact, full of energy.

What could I give her to help put weight back on her??

Has she been to the vet recently? I can't imagine her losing over 25% of her body weight during a heat cycle. Was she eating at all?
Have you heard of satin balls? I used to make them when I brought in severely underweight rescues. They work well in combination with a great quality dog food.

Has she been to the vet recently? I can't imagine her losing over 25% of her body weight during a heat cycle. Was she eating at all?
Have you heard of satin balls? I used to make them when I brought in severely underweight rescues. They work well in combination with a great quality dog food.
She hasn't and my parents aren't sure when they'll be able to take her in because they're still paying off care credit from the last time they went in. I did call a few different vets but most said that it was probably just because of how active she is.
She definitely ate because I sat with her whenever I fed the dogs. We feed them 3 times a day, 1 cup of kibble each, 1 egg + crushed shells each dog.

I highly suggest Canidea dog food. Its a heather food, and not to expensive. My dog loves it, and he doesn't' lick his paws like he used to when we fed him Iam's.

Otherwise, give her more food. If she isn't eating, then you have a problem. Most dogs, scarf there food down faster then you can blink. Give her more food for sure, and make sure she is always eating it. She may need a vet appointment. Hope she gets better soon!

I feed Purina One. Meat is the first ingredient and my dogs do very well on it. Their coats are shiny, they are in good body condition, and their stool is firm and virtually odorless. This last means they are digesting it well. I can tell you how to put weight on your dog, but if she has lost that much weight, something may be wrong.

If there is a locker plant that processes beef around, or any store that cuts their own beef, ask them for some kidney fat. It is white, firm, and easy to take a small piece to give to the dog. A piece the size of a walnut is adequate for an 80 pound dog, so adjust the amount accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom