putting wheels on tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennmugg, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    I have seen pneumatic tires at a few places, both with and without metal bracket things. The ones with the brackets are significantly more expensive. Can the wheels just be attached with bolts or something? What did you do?

2. C_Dzchicks

C_Dzchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Yes, you can attach wheels with bolts. Its even better if you have the bolts that don't have threads in the middle part of the neck (go to the hardware store, you'll see what I'm talking about) and just put a washer and a wing nut (so you can easily take it on and off with your hand if need be) and it will roll just fine. Also, I was at Tractor Supply yesterday and found wheels with metal rims that would carry any coop that you or I would care to pick up for (drum roll...) $4.88 a wheel! What a deal. Throw those bad boys on some bolts and you've got yourself a chicken tractor!

3. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    I just used a couple of old push lawnmower wheels, I drilled 2 holes at the back end of the tractor and hammered 2 pieces of a ground rod into it when I want to move the tractor I lift the tractor up a few inches and slip the wheels on and roll away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by