1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PVC Feeder experts - please help?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ll, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I made a pvc feeder - it's been sitting in the garage empty.

I emptied it because the food got moldy on the bottom, the top area of pellets looked okay but I threw them all out.
    It is hanging in a dry coop - and it has aeration holes drilled into the bottom.
    Was it just a freak thing from the moist air of the hurricane weather?
    Do I need to caulk the seams?
    Any ideas?
    Edit: it doesn't look like it, but it hangs approximately 6in. from the ground level.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    i would think that any and all moisture from the feed and air would pool in the bottom of it and rot feed. i would change the bottom to a tee with about a foot on each side capped off either make them a trough or cut 2 inch holes in it so they cant bill out food

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You can fill the bottow with concrete or if not that then sand with some small drain holes on the bottom, like a plant bottom. I primed and glued all mine.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I made a couple of those exact feeders. One hangs in an open air coop with covered top and I have never had any moisture problems. I blame the hurricane. Try it again. Maybe even incorporate some Diatomaceous Earth into the feed.[​IMG]

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I agree, I added sand in mine but also had a cap glued to the bottom.

6. ll

Thank you for your replies! [​IMG]

So I'm looking at my posted photo & will elaborate. I did have a thick layer of stone/gravel in the bottom over the drilled holes so feed wouldn't collect in the bottom and "go stale". I would say the stone layer filled up to the "seam" at the joint of the Y where that label is. I don't see how caulking it would make a difference when it hangs indoors? [​IMG] Maybe some aeration holes on the sides? The pellets seemed discolored about 5" up and then were okay the rest of the way. I also have DE mixed in ... so I'm going to have to blame the excess moisture on the blowing hurricane [​IMG]
    So I'm going to try again then [​IMG]

Maybe I shouldn't fill it up so much? Can anyone gauge the fill rate of this for 2 pullets?

I wish these pipes were clear so I could see how much remains at a glance.

7. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    so how do you fill one of those? I'd be spilling feed all over the coop...

8. ll

Oh super easy to fill - the top pops off (not threaded) and I have a little funnel with a very wide fill end - just fits at the top of the pvc tube.
    I scoop from my feed bin and reach the scoop in towards the funnel right from the dutch door, without even stepping in. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    cool, maybe I'll make one of these this weekend.

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have one of those for 4 chickens (1 roo, 3 hens) and I only fill it 1/2 full or so cause I don't want it to sit too long and get stale. I don't put any rocks in the bottom and there are no air holes in mine. I also let the chickens eat all the feed before adding more. I love the design, no waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by