PVC feeder troubleshooting

bgmathteach

MathmaChicken Mama
Premium Feather Member
Aug 22, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Hi All,

I just finished my chicken tractor/coop..and have been using it for about 1 1/2 weeks. However, my PVC feeder doesn't work. When I move the tractor (daily), the vibrations of moving 'shake' a little feed down to refill what has been eaten, but not much. I'm assuming there is an error in my design - can anyone make suggestions? Do you have one that works well?

Design: I have a 4 ft. long 3" diameter pvc pipe, then a reducer (3" to 2"), then an elbow (60 degree? 120 degree? not sure how it is labeled), then a 5 ft. long 2" diameter pvc pipe that have 1.5" holes drilled every 6" for opening to eat from, plus, of course, end caps on both ends. The 5" feeder section drops 1 ft. over the 5' length.
feeder tube _____________/ <- upright/fill tube. 120 degrees between

Is the drop of the feeder pipe too shallow? Is it that my pellets are too big? Seems everything binds/doesn't flow through the reducer/elbow area. [And to think initially I was so proud of my accomplishment - being a non-builder:barnie]

Pics aren't the best, but gives you an idea of set-up. First one shows feeder pipe on lower left. 2nd pic shows fill tube extending out to right.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot/redesign. Good thing my secondary/back-up feeder is big, as it holds them through the day, but it does require a second feeding to top it up for the pre-dusk chow-down.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 35
I have built a few of this sort of feeder now....
what I have found is....
- the bigger the pipe the better the flow of food
- 2x 45deg angles works better than 1 90 deg
- you dont need a long series of openings on the inside of the cage as they will eventually fill it up with crap and just use the hole closest to the bend.

I have poop board above the feeding pipe.

So, I should take it apart (cut it, as I glued everything), try to get a 4" pipe instead of the 3" (I got the 3" for free!), and replace the elbow with 2 45s Probably also shorten feeder pipe?

What size is your short feeder pipe in the pic? 2"??

It is to feed 26 chickens, so was trying to have ample 'space at the trough'. However, if there is no food in the trough, doesn't matter!

I have poop board above the feeding pipe.

So, I should take it apart (cut it, as I glued everything), try to get a 4" pipe instead of the 3" (I got the 3" for free!), and replace the elbow with 2 45s Probably also shorten feeder pipe?

What size is your short feeder pipe in the pic? 2"??

It is to feed 26 chickens, so was trying to have ample 'space at the trough'. However, if there is no food in the trough, doesn't matter!
my pipes are 6" down to 3"

hmm tricky if you have glued all the joins....

my pipes are 6" down to 3"

hmm tricky if you have glued all the joins....
Wow, I didn't even realize they made them that big diameter!

That's okay, one cut just inside coop and it will come out. Then I need a larger fill pipe and new elbows anyways. Feeder pipe is probably too long to realistically get flow to end anyways, so being shorter is fine.

Thank you, good 'plan' to fix. I'm just bummed it didn't work the first time. Live an learn. Next time I will snug fit & test a design FIRST, then glue!🤦‍♀️

Wow, I didn't even realize they made them that big diameter!

That's okay, one cut just inside coop and it will come out. Then I need a larger fill pipe and new elbows anyways. Feeder pipe is probably too long to realistically get flow to end anyways, so being shorter is fine.

Thank you, good 'plan' to fix. I'm just bummed it didn't work the first time. Live an learn. Next time I will snug fit & test a design FIRST, then glue!🤦‍♀️
Some others here have made them too, so maybe someone else has some other ideas.... dont go ripping it apart just yet... there could be a simple fix I havent thought of.

Some others here have made them too, so maybe someone else has some other ideas.... dont go ripping it apart just yet... there could be a simple fix I havent thought of.
Thanks! Won't be able to work on it until this weekend...that will give people a couple more days as I'm finishing up the nest boxes on Sat....meaning that is my Sunday project :)

Back
Top Bottom