1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pvc for water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3forfree, Dec 19, 2011.

1. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I'm seeing alot of you are using pvc for feeders and are collecting rain water to water your flock.(also with pvc waterers). I'm thinking about using rain water collection as a way to water the birds I will have this year, but am wondering about how cold weather will affect the water. Without rain it is difficult to collect water, and if you could make something up(5 gallon pail) to hold enough water for say a weekend, would it still freeze. Would heat tape wrapped around 1in pvc with nipple waterers keep the water from freezing? thanks

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't think heat tape will keep it from freezing. We use de-icers and water bucket heaters in our winter buckets to keep the water flowing.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Sorry, can't help here in terms of freezing water. Although what about
    keeping some water inside the coop? Don't you keep the coop warmer for the chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by