PVC pipe feeder

For filling mine, I take the top cap off of the feeder, use the cap to scoop the feed out of a 5 gallon bucket and into a one gallon plastic pitcher, and then use the pitcher once filled to top off the feeder. Not the easiest but it works for me.

thats all that matters there could be 2 million people with this problem that do it 2 million different ways because it works for them!
wink.png

Here are some pics.

I am mostly satisfied. I used a 90 degree turn in one, and put a few 30s together in the other to make a gradual 90. I just used what I had, basically.
I think the idea, as some have stated, is a 60, so there is a slant to the "horizontal" feeder.

As it is now, I have to give the vertical pipe a little shake to get the feed all the way to the end of the horizontal feeder pipe. This is not extremely important because I don't have that many hens, but it also gets the feed right to the level of the bottom of the hole, so makes for easy pickin's.
I am only using one feeder right now. I had planned to put cracked corn in the other one, but some BYCers have advised against this as they'd probably eat it more than the more balanced layer formula.

n658550599_2138784_4527.jpg

n658550599_2138787_5443.jpg

18601_feeder2.jpg

Mine... Simple, no cutting just glue. Just a five foot section of 3 inch pipe, a drain trap an a cap. The one on the right the cap comes off an is filled with food. The one on the left I glued the cap on an its filled with water then stood up. The pipe is black to absorb solar heat. Still not sure if it will freeze an bust yet. Its iffy. This is a test run before I make more.

So far I've had no robbing by the free range birds, they are fed different.

This is a breading cages of 5 hens an a roo. (EEers)

Ok, so this is really late but I'm planning on building 2 of these for my girls and boys.

It seems that the general consensus is to use 4" pipe with a 90 degree elbow right? That would, of course, be the case because I have tons of 3" pip laying around.
lol.png

I was curious, I LOVE these feeder ideas, and I am totally making one. Has anyone done this for water? Using perhaps the nipple waterers?

https://www.randallburkey.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WC1045

I would LOVE to do that. And if anyone has any ideas on winterizing that I would be all for hearing about it. Also (and this is just silly, but I have to ask), is there a type of paint that I could paint the PVC that wouldn't be harmful to my chickies?

Pretty much decided on 4" diameter with a 60 degree elbow. The feeder will be outside in the well-covered run and up next to the coop.......for as much protection from the weather as possible.

We have Barred Rocks, 14 hens and 1 Roo

1. How long should the sloping lateral be for this number of birds?

2. What would be a good height for the up-right?

3. I see 2 inch holes in some photos........and others have a 1 1/2 - 2" cut out length-wise. Any strong opinions either way?

4. Beside feed, what are these PVC feeders actually working well for? (water is taken care of, so am not going to change that.)

As always............thanks

Back
Top Bottom