pvc pipes for roost bars??????????

mamarosa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
almost done with the coop and am trying to make clean up as easy as possible. can you use pvc pipes (round) with a metal pole inside for stability as roost bars or is 2 x 2 or 2 x 4's better. We live in michigan so it gets cold in the winter.
thanks for any suggestions.

That would be a bad idea...too slippery and in cold climates you don't want the hens to have to curl their toes around a rod. It is better to use a 2x4 with the flat side (4 in.) up. This allows the hens to lay on their feet and keep them warm.

If you can make the roost removable, you could take them out & hose them off to clean (DH powerwashes mine once in awhile for me).

Yep, 2x4's are your best bet for Michigan.

thanks for your responses
can you do anything else to the roosts for easier clean up?
mamarosa

I have one of those 12 inch wide wire closet shelves, and on top of that I have a 2x4. Cleanup is easy on that. Tie the 2x4 towards the front on top of the shelf.

Along the same lines as this question, we have a round closet rod, wooden, that we want to use for our roost. Do you think that would work? Or should we just ditch it and do a 2x4 as mentioned above?

Thank you!
~Caran

we cut down a sapling that ranges from 3" - 4" (diameter) and it allows the chickens to sit all the way down on their feet and they don't have to curl their toes too much. PLUS...FREE!
we are in michigan as well.

Back
Top Bottom