pvc pipes for roost bars??????????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mamarosa, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mamarosa

mamarosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    almost done with the coop and am trying to make clean up as easy as possible. can you use pvc pipes (round) with a metal pole inside for stability as roost bars or is 2 x 2 or 2 x 4's better. We live in michigan so it gets cold in the winter.
    thanks for any suggestions.

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    That would be a bad idea...too slippery and in cold climates you don't want the hens to have to curl their toes around a rod. It is better to use a 2x4 with the flat side (4 in.) up. This allows the hens to lay on their feet and keep them warm.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If you can make the roost removable, you could take them out & hose them off to clean (DH powerwashes mine once in awhile for me).

Yep, 2x4's are your best bet for Michigan.

4. mamarosa

mamarosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    thanks for your responses
    can you do anything else to the roosts for easier clean up?
    mamarosa

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have one of those 12 inch wide wire closet shelves, and on top of that I have a 2x4. Cleanup is easy on that. Tie the 2x4 towards the front on top of the shelf.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I agree with this.

7. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Along the same lines as this question, we have a round closet rod, wooden, that we want to use for our roost. Do you think that would work? Or should we just ditch it and do a 2x4 as mentioned above?

Thank you!
    ~Caran

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we cut down a sapling that ranges from 3" - 4" (diameter) and it allows the chickens to sit all the way down on their feet and they don't have to curl their toes too much. PLUS...FREE!
    we are in michigan as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by