Pygmies or Nigerian Dwarfs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bheila, Jan 11, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    So I have been bitten by the goat bug. After going through the horrible experience with Daisy and her kids passing away last week, I have now decided that I would like to downsize from 100+ chickens and get a few more goats. I only have a wether who is soon to be 8 months as well as Daisy who are Pygmies. So here's my question, which do you prefer and why? Pygmies or Nigerian Dwarfs? I love the mini breeds because I feel that my kids are much safer around them. Even my 2 year old can put our wether back in the pasture when he runs past me out of the gate. I am only looking for pets. I would love to bred and have a few kids. I will not have a buck here. Although the chickens provide my family with eggs and meat they are costing us an arm and a few legs. It would cost us far less to raise goats. I'm not is any kind of a rush to making a final decision because I want to do as much research as much as possible. Thanks in advance!

2. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    you have 100+ chickens just for the family! WOW....you must love eggs...[​IMG]

maybe you could trade chickens for goats?

barter the old fashioned way!

I do big Boer goats. I never checked into the minis. But for pet status only, it seems like a great idea!!

I can't wait to see what people prefer and why...Pygmy or Dwarf N.

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I don't have any goats yet, but I'm leaning toward Nigerian Dwarfs over pygmies because I'd like the option of milking and NDs are more dairy goats whereas pygmies I believe more meat goats.

4. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    FarmerChick- We do love our eggs [​IMG] but we sell a lot too. I was either going to trade chickens for goats, sell the chickens or butcher the chickens for meat. I can also trade hay for some goats because that's what my husband and I do for a living. I love bartering, it's a win win situation.

Henrietta23- I also have read that ND's are better for milking. Then I was reading something online about Pygmies being used for milk too. I tried some Pygmies milk last summer and just about puked my guts out [​IMG] The thing about it was, it was still warm and the guy didn't grain them or anything. He just left them in the pasture to fend for themselves. I suppose it's just all personal preference and what you get used to. I remember when we first got our hens and trying our first eggs. I had that same gross reaction [​IMG] The yolk was so strong! I came to the conclusion that I like our girls eggs much better if they free range in the grass 4 days out of the week instead of 7. It really depends on what you feed them.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  5. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    Another option would be a mini - nubian...... mine aren't much bigger than my nigerians. I do like my nigerians ...... I only have bucks in those but I have had them since 4wks. and they are still sweethearts. Haven't had any pygmy's.......

6. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

We have both and I like the Nigerian Dwarfs better. They don't seem to be as pickey of eaters and our Nigerians are more friendly. Our Pygmies are very pickey eaters they will not even eat the green grass where the little Nigerian he eats everything in site. Just my thoughts.

7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I have 3 Pygmies and 1 Pygmy X Nigerian Dwarf.
    They are very friendly and curious. They see me let the cat out in the mornings and these little guys start telling me it's time for their breakfast! I instinctively holler baaaaaaack to them. LOL!
    They are very economical eaters, which is great.
    My friend has ND's and I find that I like them as well as my pygmies.

8. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:I know what you mean about hollering back in the morning. From the time I walk out the door they start bellering and never shut up [​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I really like my mini-manchas. They are friendly but fairly quiet, I almost never hear them make noise anymore. I didn't care for the earless look the first time I saw a lamancha, but it has grown on me, and now I think it's positively adorable! I know the minis are harder to find though.

10. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    oh wow mine never shut up either.
    I walk out on the back deck and THERE THEY go! Never are quiet...feed me, feed me, feed me.
    And I go in and out that door a million times---[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by