1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pygmy goat disappeared

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cochinbantam-lover, Sep 10, 2010.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hello everyone, My son had a pygmy goat that had been nightly sleeping in a dog house on the deck. He said the last time he had seen it, it was out behind a shed. We live sorta rural I guess you could say. anyway one morning they woke up and the little goat was nowhere to be found, not a trace. What do you think could have happened to the poor little thing? Thank you for any thoughts!!! It is just so sad! [​IMG]

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they have coyotes in Wisconsin? Wolves? Or are you thinking more of a human predator?

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Could it have wandered if it wanted to? Goats are curious animals, and will roam if not fenced in (or tethered to something!). Put the food it likes most out near the house and see if you can lure it back. Best of luck.

4. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Oh my gosh, yes we do have coyotes, not too many wolves around tho. Do you think it could have maybe wandered off somewhere? Thankyou so much for your response, I have been so upset about it!

5. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks so much, I'll tell my son to try this. Oh I hope, hope, its ok and it will come home safe!

6. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    He just told me it has been about 5 or 6 days since then, is there any hope?

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    i think someone stole it! [​IMG]

8. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:There's always hope, but you need to be proactive. Tell the neighbors, police, animal control, humane society, even the forest rangers...anyone that has an ear or eye open will help. Post signs at your post office, grocery store, library. Get going...hope for the best.

9. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:There's always hope, but you need to be proactive. Tell the neighbors, police, animal control, humane society, even the forest rangers...anyone that has an ear or eye open will help. Post signs at your post office, grocery store, library. Get going...hope for the best.

I second this! Good luck [​IMG] All you can do is try your best! Here is a story from our sister site; this woman's goat had pink eye and was pretty much blind when it wandered off... http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6124

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We live about an hour north of Asheville, N.C. and we saw on the news about a family that were keeping their pet goat on their deck and a Black bear walked up and carried the goat off, they haven't seen it since, Pets need a very secure place to sleep at night. I hope ya'll find your little goat safe and uninjured.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by