Pygmy Ostrich Chick

trueblue8364

Chirping
Oct 18, 2016
Dallas
I have a 7 week old ostrich chick. She Is still the size as the day she was born. She has squinty eyes and I believe she Is a little slow in the brain. Slow reactions. Not afraid of anything but comes running when I call her. Loves to be held. I treated her with Baytril because she was fighting eye infections with a fever from birth so I suspected a systemic infection from perhaps a yolk absorption infection. All her siblings are normal. Her brothers are 30+ pounds and she in 2 lbs. She eats, drinks, no fever or sign of infections. Just squinty eyes and gains no weight. I think I have a Pygmy ostrich. Her legs used to be spindly but are filling in. I give her an extra blend of food with additional calcium and B12. She plays now, she spins (not very coordinated) but no signs she is in danger health wise anymore. Has anyone ever seen this before? I've seen slow growers, but nothing this small. She is literally the size of a newly hatched chick. These two chicks in the picture were born the same day and are 6 weeks old in this pic. Darth Vader is the big boy and the 'pygmy' is Leia.
IMG_6428.JPG
IMG_6611.JPG

Yeah we love her to death. You know how you always wish your little ones could stay small cause they are so darn cute? Well i guess god answered that prayer ;-)

Apart from fabulously cute . . .

'Has anyone ever seen this before? I've seen slow growers, but nothing this small'

Don't know about ostriches, TrueBlue; but I've seen many clutches of six to eight wild emu chicks. Never seen any more than 5-10% variation in size.

Back
Top Bottom