1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pyncheon Breeder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RustyHart, Mar 12, 2009.

1. RustyHart

RustyHart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Hello to everyone. I have raised and shown poultry/livestock since 1967.... I have been raising Pyncheons Bantams for 15 years...I also have a flock of Shetland ducks and a larger flock of Scottish Blackface Sheep.....and a few Rhinelander Rabbits. I am a breeder of Dahlias as well and keep about 100 varieties (1,200 plants). I'm sure I'll meet alot of new people and get some wonderful help from this group. I'm a talker and a listener.....Best regards, Rusty Hart (Irish Acres)

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    [​IMG]

Could you post pictures of your Pyncheon [​IMG]

3. bufforps

bufforps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    NC
    [​IMG]

4. RustyHart

Mar 12, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    I have no current photos.....(I need to take some new ones)....but there is a photo of one of my cockerels on "feathersite".....I have Mille Fleur and Porcelain. Thanks for the welcome......R

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

6. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

7. RustyHart

Mar 12, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    When we get some nicer weather and NOT so much cold and snow...I'll get the camera out and try and get some more photos....Also...I'm not really sure HOW to post a photo in this group....(???) I want it to warm up so I can get some eggs in the incubators....Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. Rusty

8. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Pyncheons!!!!

I've been really interested in these for a while, but I don't have any yet.

I even came across your name when I was obsessively trying to research them online (not much info to be found..) but I don't think I ever found your contact info.

I'm so interested in hearing more about these. What little info I've found on them seems to indicate that what Pyncheons exist are pretty inbred because of the tiny population, and tend to have low fertility. And they don't lay very heavily. Is this true?

Hoping to hear a lot about your Pyncheons!

9. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and WELCOME ot BYC from NC. [​IMG]

10. RustyHart

Mar 12, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    There is not much written history of the breed.....Hawthorne says that the breed was over a hundred years old before he ever got them....that puts them around the year 1750..... The standard only recognizes them in the Mille Fleur color....they are supposed to have a single comb.....red earlobes and willow/yellow legs..... There are a few breeders out there....how pure the stock is....????...I don't know. I've crossed a couple birds....but have kept an original bloodline as pure as I can keep it. They are a very proud breed and mature quickly....cockerels love to try and crow at a very early age. I keep about 40-50 breeders....I also raise Shetland ducks....scottish blackface sheep...and Dahlias.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by