Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

No, blonde is boy, haha. Blue is the name of the Standard chick I have that I hatched this year. The one who wasn't DNA sexed because the company said they couldn't get a sample out of her egg.
Oh....thought you had an older female blonde the might be blonde and you wanted to breed them for more blondes.
Never mind, I'm obviously a bit oblivious :D

This is a great thread! Wow, the ups and downs of bird (and all animals really) keeping!

We bought 3 emu chicks this year, 2 @ 3 weeks and one 2 weeks when we got them - nearly 2 weeks ago. I knew the'd have to grow fast but seeing it live - it's AMAZING how fast they grow! They're sooo sweet and cuddly, I now really want to incubate some myself next year!
(even though we couldn't keep any more emus here, don't have the space, so I'd have to sell them)

We had the older 2 come back un-sexable from the lab too, gonna have to re-try when their real feathers come out. But the younger one is female, we're calling her Zola, and if one of the older ones is male he'll be Budd ;)

Attachments

• chicks + Samantha, day 3.JPG
    chicks + Samantha, day 3.JPG
    463.3 KB · Views: 5
I vaccinated all the emus this morning (well, not Ori, he's not old enough for his first dose yet). It went off without a hitch. Got them all while they were having breakfast. Even Sebastian didn't flinch when I stuck him, and he's never been done before.

Back
Top Bottom