Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

How do you vent sex to tell what the chick is. I have another egg moving around. Oly hopefully will have a friend. I have baby chicks in with him/her?

How do you vent sex to tell what the chick is. I have another egg moving around. Oly hopefully will have a friend. I have baby chicks in with him/her?

How is his leg doing? I'm sorry I missed the post earlier where you thought he might have splayed leg, but hopefully he didn't.

It's like sexing waterfowl, I'm not sure if you're familiar with that. You have to be careful or you can cause injury. I only did it because I have a lot of practice with ducks and geese and was confident I wouldn't hurt the chick.

You put the baby on its back and carefully open the cloaca to expose the sex organs. Males have a whitish organ that's longer, while females have a smaller organ that is reddish.

Thanks for asking about Oli. Grateful, no splayed leg. Wish I could figure out how to put a video up here. He can run on the carpet.

Attachments

• 7E28046E-1C32-493F-B941-47ECC60566FF.jpeg
    7E28046E-1C32-493F-B941-47ECC60566FF.jpeg
    639.2 KB · Views: 6
Hey Pyxis, what she's you going to do with the emus regarding the avian virus? I just heard it was found in New York

I don't get wild waterfowl on my property for the most part, so hopefully there aren't any issues. I mean, if I had to lock them in their shelter for a bit, I would, but they would not be too pleased about it.

Well, I have had an adventure today. I went out to take care of my birds and found this:

netting owl.jpg

He'd probably been stuck there all night. I got him out of the netting, but he'd hurt his wing; he'd dug his own talons into it and may have also hurt it some struggling, not sure.

So I just got back from a three hour drive to get him over to VINS. They told me for tonight he with get painkillers, anti-inflammatories and some antibiotics, and then in the morning they will make sure to get any leftover netting off of him and do some x-rays, etc. They told me if I wanted to call in a few days they could tell me how he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom