Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Gee, I wonder if Ciara's been getting into the chicken feed...

py5ANRPUOZE4WBO5NBwIx3ngMLMY1CRqGfFXYyfUgqRAhmUB7Y78-U9JLY1K7vEeSpMgdpKrIqvieKOv2g5E-dkIojvC74tObMgbMl5iVcw-WarxX80zsZDP34H9wJo_lC-meShb_6hGLvN2YeI5_9iU6VGKWLIzemsNJiuEMfpHM5IUKhp_PV3sjnsrX-Db5htZrUsmuZ8SD8vzSnkSCX41pL1LJqEfRM4jH3iaThIqZfUfH_iqDfOs7IfChaDYcaRWwg3VVBcTpSzO3Q5s6L9xILUtTQzBxD30b_SvzfIOnYzEA9UlAVkQTWY6-YUYV3bMjMIdI_tnZtjvYOu5uTE5drTb6udlDzKKQocQhSEIxXQAY4oe920PbwD8c2ZwGlda34Vu1cXMdIBBSfr6rvN08QTdlvr6PlCIuE5AZscXDNbUuFqwmjp-w8nl9523oALh5bBMo2tl8IJCLRqARfsGLCiMkO_dgp-sxM6ThG2L1DFThYB6spI_okS7x4SM2LJueFPR7LhHZNXVWxs0rvsgs4yqJsq-ZxCFLcIxf16-AlKY0o-7d_NRn5p8Kfur3LvIdAmHgbreUOENaqvF7yEWcTTUSeOLP-5hJ3cYI0oKUYsaEjXlkJEhmiiMqiS7eXqMwiTcim-AYYjBl1y8cpTs=w986-h657-no

eBcrTZ5.jpg

So, Ciara is about 6-8 months? That's three seasons here: it's fig time in the photo, so it's Autumn.

The chick facing the cameria is 'Das Beakie Cheeper.' You can see its seriously evil eyes -- just like Ciara's.

This is maybe my favourite age for chicks: they are robust. They are developing personalities.

[LimpyChick and Tooshtoosh are outraged by the plums-for-me in the bit of netting on the plum tree. All their plums are gone. Mine are still ripening. They peck at the netting.]

Supreme Emu

Yes, she was hatched April 20th, so she's eight months old, nine on the 20th :)

One: my photos, etc. I can only apologise, guys. Old Guy got poor skills and poor Net. For example, I have a 38-second clip of the two males doin' sideways boogie 'against' an interloper; but my Net won't upload anything longer than ten seconds. And the volume? I don't know.
Perhaps, down the track, if someone has an address, I could compile a bunch of clips; transfer them to a USB; and mail them to y'all.

Two: long ago, some one suggested assiduously documenting an emu chick's development from egg to adulthood. It's actually a great idea!! The member in question had begun an age-weight graph. I suggested regular photos. Those members with just one or two emus would have some idea of what plumage and weight a chick might have at any given age.

Here's a favourite of mine:

bB4MCGN.jpg

How old is this chick? (It's Uno). Long story short: I can't quite tell. (Cause the time-stamp on the photo differs from the apparent season. I'd guess 18 months -- autumn of second year. ??)

Otherwise, it's an ideal photo for The Records: full length. Good light. The neck and head clearly mark Uno Chick as black head. But otherwise, it's an adult plumage. The tail is full size.

So: a photo each month. And weight.

And Notes. For example, here's a challenge for readers: a photo of the very first black-head pin feather on the upper neck, where the 'shift' begins. Or ditto of the very very first toosh feather.

And Notes also on the emergence of personality. For example, chicks in late chick-hood can be recognised as they begin to exhibit aggressive -- territorial -- behaviour.

And one that we can probably only do here in the wild: the male's 'divesting' of a clutch.

Supreme Emu

Attachments

• IMG_20150530_103313.jpg
    IMG_20150530_103313.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20150530_103313.jpg
    IMG_20150530_103313.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom