Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

E339A48F-D4B1-4730-97D1-DD36A440157E.jpeg

823C0818-F3C8-4FDE-B26A-E907FA02F3B4.jpeg
932D6630-F3A0-422D-A853-BB18EFAFEC01.jpeg
Hi Emu lovers. I’m not sure how all of this works. I have posted on other threads? I don’t think I have posted here.
I have 3 Emus. 1 female, Edwina,10+yrs old, and 2 males, 3 yrs old, Ayleth and Clyde.
Edwina started laying this February. First time since she has lived her (10 yrs) Ayleth is now setting on 8 eggs and I am anxiously awaiting for chicks hatching any day now.
I was not prepared for eggs. She started laying and Ayleth started setting before we realized what was really happening.
Sooooo, we now have 8 eggs under Ayleth that were laid every few days ⁉️ Edwina, evidentially would sit next to him and lay another egg and he would scoop the new egg under him when he stood to turn the eggs. So I am assuming they are going to be hatching a few days apart ? I check the eggs every few days and now everyday. Ayleth doesn’t seem to mind and he knows me. They also go into a holding sort of shutdown during setting.
Yesterday I found one of our hens kind of snuggled under him. Then I found egg yolk on some of the eggs. I thought one had cracked or something but it didn’t smell, so that didn’t make sense. Then I remembered the hen! I think she laid an egg and Ayleth crushed it.
If. Anyone is interested I will post what happens over the next few weeks. Hopefully Ayleth gets a few hatched out ?

How big are they at this age? Something for size reference?

I'll take a picture next to a soda can when I get home, lol. They're pretty big babies compared to other birds. Which makes sense since they're the second largest bird, haha.

Back
Top Bottom