Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

last year i got my first egg jan 22. this afternoon a christmas eve surprise; taylor layed her first egg. of course i'm not in anyway ready for this. was planning on getting some camera etc ... and there is a tree where the incubator goes. lastly i havent seen any confirmed mating. emus are the worst.
now i totally flustered, i want to get some other "proven eggs " to hatch along with mine, in case my turn out to be infertal. anybody know anyone?
also the nagging question: last year she started on the 22 of jan layed 22 eggs, stopping on feb 3. (she took a week off in feb) this year it started one mounth earlier. does this mean she'll lay for a longer period or is she just pushing this forward? ideas?
lastly if i do get a an extra mounth of eggs i might sell a few. any intrest? thinking like 40 bucks an egg plus postage. is that going price for "eater eggs"? (cause i still haven't seen the mating) i love how unpredictable emus are.
merry christmas all.

last year i got my first egg jan 22. this afternoon a christmas eve surprise; taylor layed her first egg. of course i'm not in anyway ready for this. was planning on getting some camera etc ... and there is a tree where the incubator goes. lastly i havent seen any confirmed mating. emus are the worst.
now i totally flustered, i want to get some other "proven eggs " to hatch along with mine, in case my turn out to be infertal. anybody know anyone?
also the nagging question: last year she started on the 22 of jan layed 22 eggs, stopping on feb 3. (she took a week off in feb) this year it started one mounth earlier. does this mean she'll lay for a longer period or is she just pushing this forward? ideas?
lastly if i do get a an extra mounth of eggs i might sell a few. any intrest? thinking like 40 bucks an egg plus postage. is that going price for "eater eggs"? (cause i still haven't seen the mating) i love how unpredictable emus are.
merry christmas all.

Are you okay with shipped eggs? If yes, contact Warbird Farms. They sell their eggs for $35 each plus shipping. Cheap fertile eggs to test yours against :)

Hmmm . . . turf war here this morning. A breeding-pair turned up to harass Tooshtoosh and Mrs. Tooshtoosh, who beat them off. But the interlopers seemes quite tame. Didn't seem to be Limpychick and 'Sandy' -- who would have beaten off T. and Mrs. T.

So, watch this space.

[What fun! Old guy with a plate of wheat stumbling about in the guys while the four emus in question were zipping to and fro.]

SE

Just a quick emu update! No pictures, I've been forgetting to take my camera out with me while tending the birds, sorry.

The babies are well. Still growing and getting bigger! Both of them somehow lost their collars. Oh well, I got breakaway collars for a reason. I'll have to replace them. I'm pretty sure I can still tell them apart :p

Ciara is a BIG girl now, all filled out and taller than me if she wants to stretch up. Yesterday while petting her she stood the same height as me and gazed into my eyes...and I started to fear she was going to pull a repeat of her youth and try to eat my nose, haha. But she didn't, thank goodness.

Soooo Ciara is making what I'm pretty sure are supposed to be 'boy' sounds. I'm waiting for some emu breeders to confirm. I don't know if females can grunt, but it sure does sound like she's grunting. And if females can't grunt...

Well, then the DNA test would have been wrong.

The noisemaker in question:

mQM0vttnOrMKrXRo-6StYRyZSZc1jVBIwgX0shOv3ldfKNZmiNPpFGllCrg-pkd3QG175-bvY3tjSRSrskxr6jjSOMn3WSBZi2o56lMIZ8c8M4RY4nKjsx75Xn4XkK2wSYEabjkW0vcZhsBG-lYF7sWPFAtVAwvW8PvTg5jwwFmahUECBJhe0JZxNEZNgMPqspLqK0nmAzYRo4t8_TiZ4YKPtjJqBaz6VqBXcGvzJuNeQJBd2U1_wS6WvjM0wD4fDvNmARO245vl_l-MVvU1IFYFfTZDe1t8ZJKwwIW1CEFYu7hBZBoOzLDbBI0MUTYt7utXoFWwoZ-lLVZUHcBD4BRcHohLsbGx8be_5pZ6KEkmANcaBurmABU42frV-8KcednYOnn0vo4Z-dy1zeshsryBULSzuQbO8ewjnu_1mYwxxIirxw_Qw7ngqKLSRcP4wD9j9PPwmcFVfeI2BEoxugqPPDFfQLmSSMuEVWSOXnGiku99VqSzYGBiAMjN7_kzm1_1PT74RtXF1xzmFeDkSPJavoqqoCew0ebLxvabD6jGhusr5kl971C8RGNYQwAiEbsS0zqAYvKWRpWuyIuIr5En-sbn3jdhKUxPIKJN3XN9P_rLqI-KkXDgh1qS8ZbBKXyp4DW1LtUhBhGh0d8kOhNWx2O0pUtzfmF71St9H8p9kOYz3J72DQ=w949-h625-no

She has an adorable little curlicue of feathers on top of her head right now.

Back
Top Bottom