Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Man. That's no fun. Sorry. Hopefully you get a breeding pair going this year.

are emus hard to get paired? Do they mate for life?

They don't mate for life; the female will pair up with a male in the breeding season, lay eggs in the nest, then leave him to it. She might then choose another male and do it again, if she has more eggs to lay.

Just found this, how long do they incubate? I can't imagine it's just 21 days like a chicken

Yep, 49 to 60 days, depending on what temperature you're using to incubate.

:hugs :hugs :hugs
That stinks!
Is it hard to integrate emus?

Sometimes it goes really smoothly, other times it's harder. Ciara integrated really easily with the blonde babies, so I'm hoping it goes that easily again. There will be a fence between them for awhile, to prevent them from really fighting. Once I see they are happily hanging out at the fence, I'll take it down.

Is it better to incubate and raise them or let the father incubate and raise them if the father is handleable?
Is it better to incubate and raise them or let the father incubate and raise them if the father is handleable?
You can't make a male to sit, it's really up to the boy, just the last few years, 1 male got broody towards the end and decided to sit on egg. so I rolled him over and took egg, he still sat till tea time lol he didn't mind at all
Calla..

Depends on if you mean ease of raising them, or if you want them friendly :) If friendliness is the goal, raise them yourself - they'll imprint on you as babies. Even with a friendly male raising them, they just won't be as used to you, and of course they imprint on him, not you.

For ease, having a male do it is definitely less mess and trouble than brooding them yourself.

Depends on if you mean ease of raising them, or if you want them friendly :) If friendliness is the goal, raise them yourself - they'll imprint on you as babies. Even with a friendly male raising them, they just won't be as used to you, and of course they imprint on him, not you.

For ease, having a male do it is definitely less mess and trouble than brooding them yourself.

Okay thank you. It would be a few years at least before I could get any but I want to try to raise some as soon as I can so I figured I would start learning now

Back
Top Bottom