Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

I don't need another emu. I don't need another emu. I don't need another emu.

Ciara and Sebastian's First Chick.jpg

...I might need another emu.

I'm odd in the chicks-are-sooooo-adorable thang. Yes -- they are.

But I think I like them best in the black-head stage, then when they go all monster puffy feathers in their first autumn.

And the adults? They are always just chicks to me because -- 'Planet Rothschildi' -- the coolest thing is how long I've known these birds. Last year, an adult emu cruised up to the garden. It was Felicity Emu, come home after a four-and-a-half-year absence. She was just as tame as usual. Got a double ration of wheat. I've known her since 2009. Maybe her sisters -- Greedy Emu and Number One -- are out there somewhere. But it's about six years since I saw them. So Felicity is the oldest 'chick.'

SE

The young geese are on my crap list. I had them living in the emu pasture because they were living with Blue when they were goslings, and then I decided to just keep them separate as a breeding group.

Tonight when I went out to collect the expected emu egg (which I got) I found Ciara with a big bald patch on her side. Must have been the geese. I found torn out feathers in a pile in several places. When she was laying down they must have been tearing beakfuls out of her.

Anyway, they got kicked over into the adult goose pen for now, I'll figure out splitting up breeding groups later. Poor semi-naked Ciara is getting a coat, just got that ordered for her. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom