Q about feeding mice. **Those against killing mice DO NOT CLICK***

There is a youtube poster who tests various kinds of mouse and rat traps, including antique ones. Very interesting, to me. He has a channel he calls 'mouse trap Monday'. He recently tested a product called "Rat X" which claims to only kill the rodents, not pets, wildlife, etc. Supposedly it makes the rodent lose its desire to drink water and it goes into its burrow and dies. He tried it on rats and then dug up the burrows a few days later to find rat carcasses. I haven't tried the product but it sounds like a good solution with less chance to find its way into the food chain. Anyone else try this? Here is a link
I bought a small package of Mouse X and just sprinkled a bit here and there behind things in the barn. I don't know if it killed mice or not. Maybe I need to dump the whole bag in one spot like he did in the video.
It has a lot of salt in it, this is part of how it kills the rats. I would not put it where chickens could get it, regardless of the statement about being harmless to pets.
I've used it and had great success with it, I only needed a handfull to take care of approx 2 dozen mice. I saw them when I lifted up a pavestone on a frigid day, all sitting there in a bunch. They didn't run, they just looked at me like I yanked the covers off a bed. All sorts of colors I've never considered mice having.

Yes, you can feed the mice. I've not done it on purpose, but my hens certainly love too! Here is a photo of my hen "the Other Chicken" with a mouse that she caught. The whole flock was after her.
Other chicken with mouse.jpg

Ive had some of my ducks kill a rat and try to eat it so I suppose you could.
One of my ducks almost got a chipmunk! She had it at the tail, but it broke loose, leaving Blanca with just a billfull of hair. Boy was she upset!
Before i had ducks, there were large spiders, lizards, toads, centipedes, ticks and mice. - Now there are only ducks…

Back
Top Bottom