QC Supply 360 SS Nipples

SKILLET

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
I tooks some advice from the forum and am in the process of changing my watering set up to nipples...

I recieved the nipples from QC Supply but there was no instructions on what hole size to drill in the pipe...

I believe i have read on the site that a 9mm drill would work in PVC pipe then thread the nipple in in which it would cut its own threads...

Am i on the right track?

The Poly/Stainless Steel 360 Degree Nipple takes a 11/32 drill bit.
old.gif

I just received mine today and rigged something up for the babies in the brooder. I was tired of them filling up the old waterer with poop and shavings every couple of hours. I used an 11/32 bit and as long as I drilled slow (into lid of plastic water bottle), it screwed right in with no leaks (I got the screw in kind, so later I can make a pvc waterer for their coop). I was laughing out loud watching them go at it. I showed one how it worked and then they were all fighting over it. I think they saw one using it and thought food was coming out of it or something. The first one was biting and pecking at it like it was food. It was funny to watch- took them a little while to get used to what it was. I figure that introducing it now will also help them already be used to it later.

Quote:
They are watering nipples for your chickens. Chickens hit a metal toggle and water drips out, which they drink. It's good because there aren't any messy waterers to deal with and you can have it automated. You can look at my my BYC page (mid-way down) for a picture of my set-up.

I called QC supply and the rep said 5/32", I didnt try to argue but a 5/32" hole will be smaller than the nipple it self... I knew it would be bigger around 9mm or 11/32.

Now the next question, would i need a PRV(pressure reducing valve) if i hooked up the hose to the pipe the nipples will be in? it seems the assembly in the nipple is a compresion type fit, i would think constant head pressure will keep the nipples shut, as long as the pressure is no to much the hose would work. right? if it wont i guess i will get a float valve for the drum...

Thanks for all your help, ill keep you posted on how it is built...

Quote:
I think the nipples are low-pressure devices. I was going to put them in my tractor and hook it up to a garden hose using a water pressure reducer (less than $2 at Home Depot in the irrigation section). Unfortunately, the building of my coop distracted me and I never got back to it. I also would be curious if anyone else has tried this.

Back
Top Bottom