Quack, quack, HONK!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sara Ranch, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Sara Ranch

Sara Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2017
    Boys quack, girls honk. I know. I've read that information many times!

At about age 3 weeks, one of my beautiful ginormous Pekins started to honk. It surprised everyone, including her! I was so excited - one girl out of four ducks! Yeah!!! The honking slipped out more and more often. I didn't mind. I kept thinking she's going to be a momma duck one day...

At about age 6 weeks, the OTHER ginormous Pekin duck made a honk noise. No!!! You're suppose to be a boy duck to be a daddy duck. It's kinda a requirement - boy duck meets girl duck, make baby ducks... It turned out to be a rather weird honking day. After that day, he/she didn't honk again that I heard.

Now they both quack LOUDLY. Very seldom do I hear a honk. Actually, the sound they make is in between a quack and a honk, but not distinctly either one. The one day honker actually went through a period of his/her voice lowering/getting deeper. Now I can't tell whose who by noises anymore.

Is this normal for Pekin ducks?? Both are very vocal. The one I thought was a girl is definitely more talkative to me.

I have two Pekin ducks and two Khaki Campbells. They get along pretty well together. The bossy one is the Khaki Campbell (and she's like 1/3 the weight of my Pekin!)

Edited to add this question - one Pekin has a tight, slightly pointed tail feather back end. The other Pekin has the tail feathers fanned out almost all of the time. Are either of these indications of the duck's gender? I know it's too soon to see the drake curl.

2. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    i thought females quack and males have a soft voice, (just what i have heard online/ through sounds)

but i have read pekins are a very noisy duck breed :)

tk10 likes this.
  3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Actually, female ducks are the ones that quack. Lol

4. GeeGi

GeeGi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2017
    Slaughterville
    Yippee!!! I have mostly females, I was also backward on this quacking and upset about all males and only 1 female. LOL Thanks guys!

5. Sara Ranch

Jun 7, 2017
    Sounds like I had it backwards too! (Girls quack, boys honk). Well, whatever the gender, I love my duckies!!! :) Even the loud noisy Pekin.

TSC has room for improvement - the sales people should know and tell the customers what type of duck they are buying. I just got, "You know these ducks will be white when they are grown up, right?" I said that was fine. I wasn't going to throw them away because they were white and not the same yellow as when they came home with me. When I got the brown ducks (different store), "You know these are brown ducks, right?" Yep - they look brown to me - here's your sign. I asked both employees what kind of ducks they were and neither knew. Sorry, yellow/white duck and brown duck don't really answer the question.

6. Sara Ranch

Jun 7, 2017
    Ducks lay eggs without a fella, right?

7. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Females will lay eggs without a male.

Bills vs Beaks likes this.
  8. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    they never know :rolleyes: :p
    If you are still wondering, the yellows are pekin and the brown khaki ;)

9. Sara Ranch

Jun 7, 2017
    Thanks. Yeah, I spent HOURS on the internet googling different things to figure it out. I JUST figured out that my Khaki Campbells were just that. I thought they were Indian Runners for the last month. After someone on this site posted pictures of Khaki Campbells, I realized what my brown ducks were. Just had to register on the site after that... (thanks poster who put up pics of the Khaki Campbells!)

10. duckduckgoose86

duckduckgoose86 Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Columbus Ohio
    sounds like you may have 2 lady pekins! I have 6 different breeds and one of my lady pekins daisy is the LOUDEST of everyone haha! but also probably my favorite (shhh) it can be a bit tricky voice sexing until you hear it clear, and then its generally pretty easy to pick em' out lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by