Quail and cocci?

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Have never had a problem with raising quail and chickens before but this last bunch of chicks (hatchery chicken chicks) came with diaria and then went down with cocci so now I am not too sure what to do when I hatch the next batch of quail eggs. I use a growing out pen I built (snake and dog proof) but thats the pen that the chicklets first came down with cocci in.

Its open to the summer sun - and in Florida that sun is pretty intense - right now as I took the cover off, and I wont be getting any eggs for a few weeks but can I use the pen then? It has a dirt floor that I usually rake out between batches of birds.

And can/should I use medicated feed for quail chicks?

I have never used medicated feed before but will most likely do so from now on.

We ate the last of the frozen quail last night and I dont know how long I can wait to grow out some more
droolin.gif
but its just not worth it to hatch them out and have them die from cocci.

Huh, just occurred to me to ask, do quail GET coccidiosis?

since your pen is on the ground and infected birds were in it, DEFINATELY you need to put the next batch somewhere else.

Quail easily get cocci, and I was told (not sure how true) its the most common killer of them when raised on the ground besides them drowning themselves. I'd raise your grow out pen off the ground, and would bleach it and let it sit in the sun for a week or two between uses in the future if you ever believe you get cocci again. Cocci can survive in earth for quite some time, for several months I do believe.

Heres some info :

http://howtoraisequail.com/quail-articles/uncategorized/poultry-disease-and-raising-quail-part-7

If you have to use that pen then bleach the heck out of it. Also rinse everything off and then scrub it again. I would also move it or bleach the ground and rake the dirt off the top. That's the best I can come up with, but it might be better to get a new cage... I would also put a wire bottom in it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Bugger!!!

I was kinda thinking I would have to build another off the ground pen
he.gif

I like the pen I made because NOTHING can get into it! Not snakes or dogs or cats or raccoons or 'possums! And its had each and every one try at one time or another.

Well, thats no quail for awhile as there just isnt money in the kitty for another pen
hit.gif

Quote:
Its built into a retaining wall. Wooden wall on two sides and wire on the other two, dug into the ground 15 inches and its only two feet high.

No lifting or retro fitting a wire bottom into it.

It was built to repel boarders but germs are laughing at its strength
somad.gif

Quote:
Bugger!!!

I was kinda thinking I would have to build another off the ground pen
he.gif

I like the pen I made because NOTHING can get into it! Not snakes or dogs or cats or raccoons or 'possums! And its had each and every one try at one time or another.

Well, thats no quail for awhile as there just isnt money in the kitty for another pen
hit.gif

BEST LAID PLANS EH? SORRY
hmm.png

Just speculating, but do you have some clear plastic? You could cover it all with the plastic and heat sterilize the area. Then once it cooks for a week or so, give it the clorox treatment and go from there???

Back
Top Bottom