Quail are pipping... *Edit got some white chicks hatched....*

Discussion in 'Quail' started by C&Rman, Aug 17, 2011.

1. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    So far there are 5 eggs pipped 2 of them are rocking around [​IMG] I hope to have some chicks when I wake up [​IMG]
    And is it ok to leave them in the incubator for 6-7 hours I have to go to work at 7:30 and wont get home until 4 pm can they be in there that long?

Swheat, how are your chicks coming that were suppose to hatch today?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have left mine in for a day..didn't have any problems(but I am a new to quail). I like for them to really dry and fluff up before I take any out.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can leave them in the incubator for up to 24 hours but the sooner you can get them out the better. They never seem to hatch when you are watching, so you'll probably have a bator full when you wake up [​IMG]

Coturnix and button quail usually hatch pretty quickly after pipping. Bobwhites and other types (coturnix and buttons too but not usually) can take 24-48 hours to hatch after pipping.

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    The general rule with most species of quail is...remove them when they are dry and fuzzy, but everyone has to sleep!

If the feed monster/Daddy War bucks, is sleeping when they hatch, then they will have to wait an extra hour or two before they go into the brooder and get water and high protein GBS. Sometimes you just have to go to bed, and take your chances. [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You should be good. My last hatch of coturnix was outstanding I hatched 61 out of 70. My eggs not shipped.I let them all hatch before I moved them to the brooder. They stayed in the bator for around 24 hours. I did have one die in the brooder seemed he /she got trampled on by the mob.

6. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    OK I hope so!!! I will have to pick up a brooder type of deal. I counted 7 so far [​IMG]

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I hatched Bobwhites, and it was amazing! Go ahead and go to work and don't worry about them. When you get home, they'll be in the incubator, running all over the place like little mice!

It's amazing how they zip.....They make a perfect circle, and the egg sort of looks like it has a flip top when they break out! Very precise work......

Oh, you'll have trouble concentrating at the office today......

Let us know how they do!

Sharon

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    C&Rman :

OK I hope so!!! I will have to pick up a brooder type of deal. I counted 7 so far [​IMG]

How many eggs did you end up setting Christian? Bill​

9. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Pics please!! lol i love seeing pics of hatchlings!

10. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

pics please [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by