Quail attacking me?

owlboxes

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Hi there!

This is my first time posting here. I've just gotten two quails as pets, and read over many of the topics here on the forum for advice. I'm housing the two (which, according to the lady who sold me them, are both 3 week old female coturnix quails) in a 20 gallon aquarium with non-cedar wood chips as bedding, and a metal/mesh top so that they're well-ventilated. I also made sure that they have a square foot of ground to walk around on so that they're not crowded, and they have a hollowed out segment of log to hide in. I feed them non-medicated chick feed and mix in treats occasionally - mealworms and and other tasty things.

Suddenly, yesterday, one of them started trying to peck at my hand through the glass, and whenever I lift the lid to feed them, she jumps and tries to attack my hands. The other is fine, though a little more frightened than usual (maybe because of the aggressive one's behavior?). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this sudden aggressive behavior? Do I need to separate them for a day or two and see if it helps? I'm a total newbie and I have no idea what to do, but I'm afraid to put my hand into the tank now because she goes after me as soon as she sees me!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, I have some quail who jump up when they see my hand they generally just want treats off me and it's not aggressive but they do peck etc and jump up and Down alot. does the quail make a noise when it tries to peck you? Quail are quite noisy when they are angry but if the quail doesnt make an angry noise it likely just wants more mealworms Or treats. Oh and welcome to the forum

Females can turn aggressive if they are broody or if there are no males around will take the responsibility of rooster over. Try grabbing her next time she does this. Hold her for a moment, even hold her on her back. This action of grabbing her may cause her to realize you are higher in the pecking order than she is.

the pw said that the quail are only 3 weeks old the behaviour is unlikely to associated with being broody or taking over the role of a roo at that age.

the pw said that the quail are only 3 weeks old the behaviour is unlikely to associated with being broody or taking over the role of a roo at that age.
You are so right....missed this!

Ok...it is possible the bird has a health issue. Sick birds can become aggressive. Could also be just an aggressive bird. Personalities can be passed down through genetics.

Back
Top Bottom