Quail aviary mesh size?

HillGuy

Songster
Jun 2, 2020
I'm setting up an aviary for quail. It's 6 foot X 8 foot and comes with 1/2" X 3" mesh on the top, sides & bottom. I'm planning to take a 4 foot' roll of 1/4" mesh hardware cloth and wrapping it so 1 foot covers the floor and 3 feet comes up the sides. Any thoughts on whether or not that will be enough to keep out rodents & snakes? Thanks.

Hi @HillGuy ... how high is the aviory?
1/4" mesh keeps everything off, if the wire of the mesh is minimum 1mm thick. I think 1/4" mesh isn't that thick.

Normally 1/2" x 1/2" (12.7mm) is enough to keep mice and younger rats off.
But here in germany we have no experience with snakes, so I can't tell that.

But I would cover all, as rats and martens can climb pretty well. Rats also are masters in digging. So I would cover also the whole bottom.

Can you post pics of the aviory.

It will look something like this, only I'm moving the door and was going to line the lower part with the 1/4" hardware cloth as described in the OP.
724_1.jpg

I've had a lot of problems with rats getting in my aviaries in the past. They dug under to get in. They killed quite a few birds including japanese quails, gouldian finches and my first bouke's parrot. I had to cover the ground with 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) mesh to keep them out. Personally, I wouldn't say anything is overkill (probably because of the stress I've been through when losing birds). Better to be safe than sorry, but it's really up to you on what you use to keep them out.

Back
Top Bottom