Quail can't wallk help

MichelleKing

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Ohio
Found my favorite quail laying down on her side in her habitat. I picked her up to see if she was ok and her legs were stiff sticking out. I thought maybe she was going to die. I fed her nutridrench and B12 liquid mixed together, and then water. She drank a ton. I put her in a box on a bunch of towels to make her comfy so she could pass in peace. That was three days ago. She's still alive. Now, she can move her legs and they bend again, but she can't stand on them. When i try to stand her up, she just falls over on her side. I will say, she is over 2 years old. That being said she's always been a robust healthy bird who has had top notch care her whole life though.

In the box, she's pooping normally. She's also kicking herself to scoot an inch or two. I'm holding her to let her drink a few times a day (plus nutridrench/B12), and I'm hand feeding her.

Does anyone know what happened? I have 6 other hens who are in her flock who are healthy as horses, and she's the only one messed up.

Found my favorite quail laying down on her side in her habitat. I picked her up to see if she was ok and her legs were stiff sticking out. I thought maybe she was going to die. I fed her nutridrench and B12 liquid mixed together, and then water. She drank a ton. I put her in a box on a bunch of towels to make her comfy so she could pass in peace. That was three days ago. She's still alive. Now, she can move her legs and they bend again, but she can't stand on them. When i try to stand her up, she just falls over on her side. I will say, she is over 2 years old. That being said she's always been a robust healthy bird who has had top notch care her whole life though.

In the box, she's pooping normally. She's also kicking herself to scoot an inch or two. I'm holding her to let her drink a few times a day (plus nutridrench/B12), and I'm hand feeding her.

Does anyone know what happened? I have 6 other hens who are in her flock who are healthy as horses, and she's the only one messed up.
Symptoms sound like Calcium deficiency. Calcium deficiency can cause loss of motor control which is typically exemplified by inability to stand or walk. Her incremental improvement is likely due to the small amounts of Calcium found in Nutridrench.

The fastest way to cure Calcium deficiency is to get liquid Calcium and mix it in her water. Do not allow males to have any of the water as excess Calcium can be harmful to the males. Prevention of Calcium deficiency is to provide a good layer feed and provide oyster shell free choice.

Of course it is also possible that your hen is just suffering from old age since life expectancy is only 2 to 2 1/2 years.

Back
Top Bottom