Quail changing sex

Discussion in 'Quail' started by melissa41927, Jul 12, 2011.

1. melissa41927

melissa41927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    northeast corner al
    first of all i have 13 coturnix quail. they started laying about 4 wks ago. we separated all the males but two out of the breeding pen. before that we were getting 6 eggs a day and for about a wk after we were getting 6 eggs. we also banded all of the males. after about 2 wks, another one started crowing that was not banded. then we started getting only 5 eggs. is it possible that one of the hens switched sexes? there were 6 hens and 2 males in the breeding pen after we separated the extra males out.

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i highly doubt that quail change sexes, maybe one of the quail was laying 2 eggs? so it was only 5 laying but you were getting 6 eggs.

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    No, they just aren't laying as good. Five eggs for six hens is pretty good. They don't always lay an egg a day.

4. That would be a medical marvel. I think the only state that quail can change sex legaly is California. Ha Ha uh uuggh.

Sorry once a roo always a roo. And once a hen always a hen.

5. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Did any of them travel to a clinic in Sweden?

Seriously, I think the more likely answer is that they are probably hard to sex and you just got one wrong. It happens to the best of them, no doubt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by