Quail chick with curled toes

Fleabuskitty

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
I had 35 Coturnix quail eggs in the incubator, but none hatched on day 18 or 19. I had chicken eggs in at the same time, so I decided just to leave them because I didn't want to mess up the chicken eggs. Well, last night on day 20 I noticed one had zipped. I left it expecting to find a quail chick in the morning, but it was just the same. I ended up helping him out. So, now he's hatched and moving around and peeping, but both of his feet stay curled under him! I've read threads about chickens with curled toes that said to make 'booties' out of band-aids; should I do this? Does it still work if the chick is a full 24 hours old, or does it have to be done sooner?

Last edited:
ChickensAreSweet - I guess it's the same for quail. Does it work for chickens if they're more than a couple hours old?

It may take several days, but it may go away on its own. I had a few Silkie mix chicks and a couple button quail born with the toes curled in. It looks like they ran out of room in the egg, so the feet/toes are kinda contracted like that any may right themselves. If the chick is walking around, I'd watch him for a couple days first. I tried the bandaid thing and it seemed more obtrusive than helpful.

Quote:
I think that's probably the problem, seeing as he hatched 3 days late.
So should I try the 'booties' first, or should I leave it for a couple days? If I do leave it for a few days and it does not go away on its own, will it be too late to try the 'booties'?

If he's able to get to the food and water, I'd watch him for a couple days. The bandaid booties are awkward for such a tiny quail chick. My daughter's feet were "stuck" like when you flex your toes up. Her feet became normally positioned in a few days. She's 15 now and I'd give anything to have that crooked foot baby back for a little while!

The thing is, I'm afraid to give him water because of how wobbly he is. He only hatched this morning ,so he's fine right now without it, but I'm not sure what to do when he does need it. Maybe he'll be better in the morning? I guess I'll try giving him some and watch him.

Use a shallow dish with rocks or marbles in it to prevent drowning and take him to dip his beak in it to introduce him to it and maybe leave him kinda close to the water and see if he's able to return to the water dish. You may also move him away from the heat light and see if he's able to walk/hobble back to it.

Quote:
It's not spraddle leg, the toes are actually curled and he's 'walking' sort of on his ankles.
I ended up trying the 'booties', but he won't really walk...

Back
Top Bottom