Quail chick with deformed leg? Bone sticking out back of joint??

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
This little guy was a assisted hatch. Was shrink-wrapped in the egg. The left leg is curled up towards their chest and they can't extend it. Even more odd... There is a bone or something sticking out of the back of the "knee" joint area. Anyone ever seen this? I'm thinking it will need to be amputated? I have amputated chicken, duck, turkey and guinea legs so I'm experienced doing it. I'm a rescue so I always get injured animals but have never seen one hatch this way. Poor thing is walking around on the joint. They're really trying to get around.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1696867623.jpg
    Snapchat-1696867623.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Snapchat-2068599894.jpg
    Snapchat-2068599894.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 12
  • Snapchat-46052522.jpg
    Snapchat-46052522.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 12
This little guy was an assisted hatch. Was shrink-wrapped in the egg. The left leg is curled up towards their chest and they can't extend it. Even more odd... There is a bone or something sticking out of the back of the "knee" joint area. Anyone ever seen this? I'm thinking it will need to be amputated? I have amputated chicken, duck, turkey and guinea legs so I'm experienced doing it. I'm a rescue so I always get injured animals but have never seen one hatch this way. Poor thing is walking around on the joint. They're really trying to get around.
You could try a toothpick splint or get amputated. @Wyorp Rock

This little guy was a assisted hatch. Was shrink-wrapped in the egg. The left leg is curled up towards their chest and they can't extend it. Even more odd... There is a bone or something sticking out of the back of the "knee" joint area. Anyone ever seen this? I'm thinking it will need to be amputated? I have amputated chicken, duck, turkey and guinea legs so I'm experienced doing it. I'm a rescue so I always get injured animals but have never seen one hatch this way. Poor thing is walking around on the joint. They're really trying to get around.
Your photos are way to unclear to be able to make any suggestions.
If you can post some more that are well lit that would be great.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom