Quail chicks getting colouring- I’m curious!

Tux was the last to hatch and from the smallest egg. He was an assisted hatch. (I don’t know yet if “he” is a he but in my mind he is). He had pasty bum, constipation, and a swollen oil gland. He is roughly 4 days behind in maturity, compared to the others. I was feeding him via pipette mixtures of egg yolk-water, pineapple-water, and molasses-water (for constipation). He loved eating the mash and is now ating solids. He has pin feathers and has grown almost twice his size from day 6 to day 8. I am VERY concerned about him and have another light and container ready for pickup on Tuesday! I am considering keeping him as a pet inside.
Oh I forgot to say! I bought my eggs from an independent farmer in Langley, BC, Canada. I’m they were $10 a dozen and the options were Pansy, Celadon, or Jumbo and I ended up with a mix.

Tux was the last to hatch and from the smallest egg. He was an assisted hatch. (I don’t know yet if “he” is a he but in my mind he is). He had pasty bum, constipation, and a swollen oil gland. He is roughly 4 days behind in maturity, compared to the others. I was feeding him via pipette mixtures of egg yolk-water, pineapple-water, and molasses-water (for constipation). He loved eating the mash and is now eating all solids. He has pin feathers and has grown almost twice his size from day 6 to day 8. I am VERY concerned about him and have another light and container ready for pickup on Tuesday! I am considering keeping him as a pet inside.
WOW that’s a lot of tlc....you may want to see if nutridrench or roosterbooster is available in your area to have for those that struggle early on. When keeping indoors you will want to watch their feet closely for poo balls....Especially with the little ones that like to hang out inside the feeder

WOW that’s a lot of tlc....you may want to see if nutridrench or roosterbooster is available in your area to have for those that struggle early on. When keeping indoors you will want to watch their feet closely for poo balls....Especially with the little ones that like to hang out inside the feeder
Thank you! So far I have been to two feed/pet stores and neither have vitamins for the water. I will keep looking in earnest! Yes, I baby them and make sure they are all clean. I have a new feeder that has a mason jar so they can’t stand on the food anymore- or, at least it is more difficult to do so. Thank you for the tips!

Can you take a picture of what you bought please?

I use a pinch for 2L of water, it gives the water a slight yellowish tint.
DE164BE9-7556-47C7-BDC5-75B1AFDE153B.jpeg
635FEB19-B53B-45F9-9188-FF90784715E0.jpeg

Thank you! So far I have been to two feed/pet stores and neither have vitamins for the water. I will keep looking in earnest! Yes, I baby them and make sure they are all clean. I have a new feeder that has a mason jar so they can’t stand on the food anymore- or, at least it is more difficult to do so. Thank you for the tips!
Is Amazon an option for you?? They typically have nutridrench or roosterbooster available......

I see an SSC, pearl fee, and Rosetta tux with 3 pharaoh (wild-type)

I see the same.
Maybe the Pearl Fee can also be a lighter Italian.
I had this in my last hatch. I was 100% sure that 2 chicks would be Pearls, but they turned out to be light Italians.

I was so disapointed (I just have one Pearl from a hatch in November,... so beautyful... we also call them Snowquails here), that I ordered new hatching eggs 🙈 ... will go on delivery on the 8th of june.
Gosh... I am obsessed 🙈🙈🙈

I see the same.
Maybe the Pearl Fee can also be a lighter Italian.
I had this in my last hatch. I was 100% sure that 2 chicks would be Pearls, but they turned out to be light Italians.

I was so disapointed (I just have one Pearl from a hatch in November,... so beautyful... we also call them Snowquails here), that I ordered new hatching eggs 🙈 ... will go on delivery on the 8th of june.
Gosh... I am obsessed 🙈🙈🙈
Can’t wait to see your new hatch! Hatch number six?! Yaaaaay babies!

Back
Top Bottom