Quail Cleaning

LoveMyQuails

Hatching
Apr 24, 2021
Hi. I have three female coturnix quails, and recently me and my dad had some leftover watermelon and so we gave it to them. We gave some more, and once we left the cage alone they started eating both the seeds and the watermelon. Except, now they have dried up red watermelon juice on their feathers and around the beak. Is there any way to clean this off? It is a bit sticky and now their feathers aren’t as soft as they used to be (only where the juice was, of course). Any tips or suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

They will clean it themselves over time if they have access to clean drinking water and a dust bath. If you want to get them clean sooner and they let you hold them, catch each one and just wipe her beak with a wet paper towel or tissue!

You can put a shallow pan of water in their pen. I have a large drain pan from a big flower pot that I often put in for mine in hot weather.

Hi. I have three female coturnix quails, and recently me and my dad had some leftover watermelon and so we gave it to them. We gave some more, and once we left the cage alone they started eating both the seeds and the watermelon. Except, now they have dried up red watermelon juice on their feathers and around the beak. Is there any way to clean this off? It is a bit sticky and now their feathers aren’t as soft as they used to be (only where the juice was, of course). Any tips or suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
Sand bath

Whenever my quail eat any kind of juicy fruit, like a blackberry they get it all over them too. It's kind of scary when they eat blackberries because it looks like there is blood all over their faces! They always clean it off by themselves though so I don't try to interfere. Well, my quail don't even let me touch them.

Whenever my quail eat any kind of juicy fruit, like a blackberry they get it all over them too. It's kind of scary when they eat blackberries because it looks like there is blood all over their faces! They always clean it off by themselves though so I don't try to interfere. Well, my quail don't even let me touch them.
Savi the button has a thing for blue berries so much when ever i get any he poops blue, the white part turns a soft baby blue

Back
Top Bottom