Quail color identification examples (adult/fully feathered)

71086E00-607A-496B-BBC8-DF2892768E61.jpeg
36832E89-E50B-4993-8475-60A6CB2BD596.jpeg

I recently posted a thread about my Aragorn who has been getting more and more wild type markings even though he’s a Rosetta as far as coloring. Not sure what he would be called, he has one orange feather on his chest his legs are black to the ankles with pink feet.

Do all the experienced quail keepers on this thread have a favorite article/website/whatever that explains Coturnix varieties and the genetics behind them? I am having a tough time finding good info that doesn't contradict others. Thanks!
I'm not experienced but I have been watching the myshire farms youtube video's. They are in the process of doing a series on the breakdown of different sizes and colors. So far they've done the jumbo, SSC, Italian, and I think they just did a pearl one. The video's are all about 10 min long and they give tons of info in the form someone like myself that is just starting out can understand. Here's a link to the one they did today.

Do all the experienced quail keepers on this thread have a favorite article/website/whatever that explains Coturnix varieties and the genetics behind them? I am having a tough time finding good info that doesn't contradict others. Thanks!
it is difficult to find good articles on genetics and color variations.....a lot of it is just through experience and help from experienced and knowledgeable breeders. zack @Myshire Farm Quail has great pictures on his website and has been adding general and in-depth you tube videos on each color they offer and genetics information!!

If someone is interessted to take a look into more scientific genetics of Coturnix Japonica, I'll suggest this (the pdf attached)
It is quite heavy to read and needs a bit of basic genetic knowlege, but it is great.

Most web-sites, I saw, have some discrepancies.

Even the different scientists aren't consistent, e.g. the Manchurian gene: Discovered by three scientists and called differently: Fawn, Fawn2 and Beige ... It is possibly the same gene, but might be slightly different genes.

Therefore I am still searching for a partial or complete genom map of Coturnix Japonica, with gene locations.
If someone has some sources, I'll be thankful.

Attachments

• 45_159 (2).pdf
    873.1 KB · Views: 13
It’s amazing to me that Texas A &M has their all white variety but not real documentation on the general studies of quail that I can find. I wonder if there are any scientists or grad students doing research on this as we speak somewhere in the world.

@Fenrisulfr Amazing, thank you! Luckily, I spend my days pouring over scientific literature for work, so what's a few more papers?
@FloorCandy It's pretty weird to me that Texas A&M themselves haven't at least published some descriptive studies/characterizations of that strain. That's what seems to be the norm for things like mouse strains, but I don't really deal with the poultry world outside of my hobbies. That being said, some of my grad school cohort did work similar to what you've mentioned - I am sure someone is sitting on some proprietary work somewhere!

It’s amazing to me that Texas A &M has their all white variety but not real documentation on the general studies of quail that I can find. I wonder if there are any scientists or grad students doing research on this as we speak somewhere in the world.

I am not 100% sure, but I think Texas A&M's are just pure recessive Whites breeded on size.

And it isn't new, in France there are many "Jumbos" which are also Whites.
As far as I read, they (the french) got sizes of 450-500g

Problem is, that many Whites aren't pure ... they are mixed with the gene "dotted White", which is also recessive (to Wild Patterns), but obviously dominant to the only white "recessive White" gene.
As far as I guess till now, which isn't reliable to 100%. So much to learn.

Also there is a "dominant White" gene, which seems to be not only white, more a strong dilution effect. Again, so much to learn 🙈

Back
Top Bottom